I have had hormonal problems on and off for 2 years involving pelvic pain and mid-cycle spotting. I have had a clear smear and in May, a pelvic ultrasound that showed a very small ovarian cyst which the doctor said would go as soon as I ovulated.

During the last couple of months of the Summer, everything seemed to go back to normal. Then this month, everything has been all over the place including 6 days of mid-cycle spotting (usually only 3 or 4), spots on my face, tender breasts and pelvic pain. I have had pelvic cramps on and off now for 4 days since the spotting stopped. It feels like ovulation pain but on both sides and is quite sharp. I also have low back ache (although I suffer with that a lot anyway!). Today I have had an upset stomach too (diarrhoea) and gas and pains under both ribs and across my tummy.

I have an appointment on Friday as my doctor has said she is going to put me on the combined pill for 6 months. I am so worried about it being a large cyst but the pain is on both sides so it just doesn't make sense.

Has anyone suffered similar problems?