Thread: bp readings

bp readings

Hi
    Not been here for a long time was feeling pretty good until i had a letter from the drs saying I needed a routine bp check. Used the machine in a side room but was so nervous, reading came out as 150/87 with a pulse rate of 135! I was supposed to hand the reading into the drs but came out with it in my bag, I have been worried about it ever since, and just want to cry, is this a bad reading I dont really know, and I'm still getting stressed about it. Daft I know!!

Re: bp readings

Loads of things can effecta one off BP test

My BP Machine instructions say

.......................Systolic........BP Diastolic BP

Hypotension..........< 100...........< 60

Ideal ...................< 120...........< 80

Normal ................120 - 129...... 80 - 84

High Normal ..........130 -139 ......85 - 89

Hypertention ........140 - 159...... 90 - 99
    (Mild)

Hypertention ........160 - 179 .....100 - 109
    (moderate)*

Hypertention ........180 - 219..... 110 - 1119
    (severe)*

* = If two or more tests read in this range it is advisable to see your doctor for more tests

Hope that helps
    Last edited by PanicOver!!; 06-11-09 at 14:55.

Chill meggy

150/87 isn't bad, especially talking into account you probably have white coat syndrome too.

My BP can hit higher than that, but docs are only concerned if your BP is high constantly on waking and stays there, when at rest and not emotional.

Ask for a 24 hr monitor, that gives the GP a better indication of your overall reading, but I am 100% sure no GP is going to worry about that reading considering BP is affected by stress (white cost).

And remember, BP has to be high for a long time for damage to be done. Infact you can have high BP for years then get hit by a bus when you are 80 .

I am not belittling BP, it's very good to know your numbers but that's far from an "off the scale" reading.

Now the legal bit You must report your reading to your GP, if only to have a record of your results, but don't be scared, I am pretty sure you have nothing to worry about.

TC

Jaco
    Last edited by Jaco45er; 06-11-09 at 15:04. Reason: reely krap splin

Thanks for the reassurance, couldnt stoop thinking about it so went back again this afternoon, went in sat down, looked at a few mags, then used machine, 145/82 pulse 114!!!
    Feel bit better about it now. Thanks again everyone.
    MUST RELAX AND CALM DOWN!!

I am saying this in nicest way but I was so glad to read your post and find your pulse was 135 on bp test as I have terrible problem with fast pulse in any medical setting - I have had it as high as 147 which means I get a ecg before leaving the hospital! I really hate it when you see a new consultant and they make you wait hours so you are getting more and more stressed then they take you and weigh you ( really stressful and embarrasing for the overweight) then take you bp and pulse arghhhhh.

My GP took my bp a week ago and it was 142/92 and then a few minutes later was 140/82- he seemed totally unconcerned about it and said no need to have it taken again and would need to be higher than this to warrant the 24 hr monitor - I said should I buy a home moniter and he said no way as I would get so anxious and the more I did it the worse I would get and he was right as I borrowed a friends and as soon as I took it out of the box my pulse went ballistic.

Thread Information