Thread: The Dentist

The Dentist

I went the dentist a couple of weeks ago after having not been for over 2 years due to anxiety.
    Being in situations where I feel trapped and not in control perpetuate my anxiety big time.
    So anyway went the dentist because half of one of my wisdom teeth broke off which was quite badly decayed due to being in an awkward position and not being able to clean it properly and it was giving me terrible toothache.
    The dentist checked my teeth and told me that I needed an old filling refilled and the wisdom plus another tooth had to come out. She asked me if I wanted the wisdom out there and then and I bottled it. I felt quite panicky just being in the chair for 5 minutes.
    So I made another appointment for a week later for the filling and to remove the wisdom tooth which again I bottled it and called to cancel and rescheduled for today.
    I went this morning and I wasn't feeling too bad. 3 needles no problem then she started to do the filling and the drilling and the assistant with the suction thingymebob I could feel myself getting tense. Heart pounding, dry mouth and chest tightening. I put my hand up and asked can I just rinse my mouth. Then I told her that I suffer with anxiety and that I am feeling quite anxious. She was brilliant. She said I was doing fine and that she gets people a lot worse. Anyway I calmed myself down she finished the filling then asked if I still wanted the tooth out. I said to do it because that was a 2 minute job. Apart from the big jerky movements it was fine.
    I apologised for being a wuss which she replied that I was fine.
    I left and felt a sense of achievement as I walked home. It feels quite embarrassing saying that but the dentist was a big fear of mine.
    I think I am not only happy that I got through it but happy that I was able to be open and honest with the dentist about being anxious. I feel it is something I try to hide from a lot of people.
    Got to go next week for the other tooth out. I am sure i'll get nervous nearer the time but I can get through it.

Sorry for the long post.

Take care
    Neil
    xxx

Re: The Dentist

Wow! Am really pleased you got through it and feel a sense of achievement! x

Re: The Dentist

Blimey you did well! I wish I had a female dentist (
    Next week you know you will be fine as you have managed to cope with it today x

Thread Information