Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: emetophobic and feeling sick all the time

Re: emetophobic and feeling sick all the time

Heya im emetophobic too and feel sick constantly so much so that i have lost alot of weight as am scared to eat alot of the time especially if im away from home. At the moment im takin omaperazole,pepto bismol and motilium10 plus travel sick tablets! the dr had prescribed Prochlaprazine for dizziness coz i was dizzy too but then after 2mths stopped! so im back to self medicating which i hate! Its seriously depressing and i havent worked for 8wks coz im so scared to leave the house for longer than a couple of hrs. I feel im fighting a losing battle and the only thing to help i.e hypno or NLP costs too much money :( So annoying specially when u know its in ur head!!! lol Anyway good luck and i hope u find something to help x

Danath yeah was on omeprazole for a while, it made no difference. I didn't know that, never come across anyone else who had a fear of vomiting! Does other people vomiting freak you out as well?

I am an emitophobe too, whenever i go anywhere i have to carry loads of ginger & lemon yogi tea and mints which calm my stomach a little but am too scared to try meds eep :S I didn't used to like ginger tea either but if i made it really strong and dipped biscuits in it it was much yummier, now i just drink it by the gallon

yeah other people being sick usually freaks me, though i can handle that muchbetter

This time last year I was feeling constantly sick just as you describe it- was awful- couldnt bear to do anything at all. the more sick i felt the more i was convinced i was ill. the sick feeling started after i got an abcess last november and had to have an emergency operation. the antibiotics and blood poisoning from the abcess made me feel very sick for weeks. after that i never really felt back to normal, and my doctor told me it was anxiety. i already knew i had anxiety, but always couldnt tell whether i was anxious or really ill, hence the vicious circle!!

i had CBT and alongside that started on buspirone 5mg- at the worst i took 4 a day, but still a very small dose, this helped me so much. it controls the chemical that you release when youre anxious that makes you feel sick. i was given propranolol too but this didnt help.

now i just take motilium if i ever feel really sick but that is very rare now, i seem to have worked through it- the buspar took the edge off and made me feel more in control and back to normal again. it took a few months but it was chnaging the way i think that needed to happen before i could feel fully normal again.i now know that when i feel sick its me worrying (i can usually tell because i used to geta really big pulse above my belly button- which i now know was the blood rushing to the centre of my body ready to send it to where i needed it- fight or flight!) and with breathing exercises i could calm down and find the sick feeling would go. also i noticed that if the phone rang or something, i would forget to think about it, and the feeling would go! so this also proves that its in your head.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information