Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety for years - new to site

Anxiety for years - new to site

Brief history. When I was about 19/20 I fainted in a nightclub and ended up in hospital needing stiches to my forhead and chin as I feel onto a table and step! A few months after this I fainted again in a different night club, although I hadn't had that much to drink. Went to the doctors and they couldn't find anything wrong. I started to dislike night clubs/busy hot places and would feel anxious going and in them in case it happened again and totally cut back/out on drinking (to stay in control).

The following year I had difficulties at work and ended up taking 3 weeks off with depression. I also had problems at home plus the fears that had started of crowded places etc. After the three weeks off work, and now taking Seroxant I eased myself back to work and things started to get a bit better. Three years later I decided to come off my antidepressants, yes three years! The side effects were horrific and it took months to slowly come off them, I ended up taking them in liquid form so I could have a few drops a day to aid the slow come off.

When I was 23 I changed jobs and moved in with my boyfriend, this all within about four months! Yes looking back now it was a lot to do at once, but once I had come off the antidepresants I felt so alive I was ready to take on a higher, more demanding job and move out from home for the first time. Within about six months of this I started having problems with anxiety and leaving the house to go to work (I used to reach and sometimes be sick before leaving). I eventually got signed off for three weeks and put on a different antidepresant. Things were getting better, although I felt the antidpresant wasn't doing anything so at the begning of this year I came off them. In April this year things turned bad again and I ended up taking 5 weeks off work with anxiety and eventually handed in my notice without returning to work as I felt unable to. There were issues at work, stress and a very demanding boss! At no point did I want to go back on antidepressants.

I currently seeing a homoepath. In the main it has taken away the apprehension and I can at least leave the house without being sick or panicking.

So here I am, sitting at home looking for help. I was due to meet friends tonight but felt unable to go and sit in a busy pub, incase I panic or feel weird. I've been here before, but like so many of us it feels worse this time and I'm not sure if it will get better or how.

I now work part time.

Thanks for reading.
    Nichola

Hi Nichola

Welcome aboard!

Sorry to hear about the problems you have had in the past.

Well done on getting back to work part-time and looking for some help.

Have you read much on the website yet - www.nomorepanic.co.uk ?

You will get loads of support here so take time to have a look around and ask any questions you want to.

Can you do something like the "No Panic" telephone recovery course as well - look at their website at www.nopanic.org.uk

Nicola

hi nicola

welcome to the site and the forums.

sorry to hear you had a bad time of things lately and hope things get better for you soon.

there is loads of very good and helpful ppl on here who are more than willing to help and give advice.

all the best

darren

There is light at the end of the tunnel its just finding it thats the hard part

Hi Nichola

Welcome aboard. I'm a new member too and have already had lots of help. People on here are great.

Sue

Hi Nicola,

I have been in situations where I would get panic attacks when going out with friends so I know how that feels.

welcome to the site, hopefully chat in the live chat room or on the forums

Take care

Alan

"Life's a roller-coaster and I am not strapped in"

Hi Nichola,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some great friends.

Stay positive.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Hi Nichola and welcome to NMP where you will get lots of support and

make some great friends too!

Take Care

Chucklehound

xxxx

Hi Nichola

A big warm welcome to the forum

Kazo xxx

Hi Nichola

WELCOME TO THE SITE

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

Hi Nichola
    Welcome to the site! Ive had similar problems to you, panic attacks, work problems and agoraphobia, but im back on track now and doing all the things i missed out on.

Theres lots of advice on this site, it make take you a while to trawl through theres so much! But its worth it, there's loads here that can help you beat panic.

Have you tried rescue remedy? Thats a good place to start if you want to beat this without anti depressants. Many people recommend Kalms as well, (ive just bought some today as it happens, so cant recommend them personally but its worth a go!) which you can get from boots, and omega fish oils (again which ive just bought today lol).

I would recommend 'Self-help for you nerves' by Claire Weekes, or any of her other books. Her books are really good, and i think they work. Its simple to follow but it does makes a difference to the way to think and feel about panic.

If you dont want to go back on anti-depressants it may be worth considering beta-blockers. They wont change your mood but they work on making the effects of adrenaline lessen, so your heart doesnt race and you dont hyperventilate and sweat etc.

when you go out it helps if you have a back up plan incase you panic. I always felt more secure if i knew i had enough money for a taxi home, or id told people in advance that i might leave early, it just reduces the pressure on you to stay.

Also if youre out and you start to feel panicky or ill, tell yourself that you must stay for another half an hour, and then if you still want to go then you can. Usually when i did this i found that i didnt worry about whether or not to make the decision to leave (leaving somewhere early was always a hard decision to make as i used to feel like a failure etc, so would agonise for ages over whether to leave lol) and i would relax, and by the time the half hour was up i felt i could stay a bit longer.

Good luck! You can use the search button at the top to find specific posts about things, such as beta blockers, rescue remedy or whatever. Also come into the chatroom sometime and have a chat with us all!

take care
    Alice x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information