Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello all - here's my story (abridged version)

Hello all - here's my story (abridged version)

After six months of being ill one way or another, I finally slipped into the world of physical anxiety symptoms. I had to have an xray which involved injecting me with some dye. As one of my ailments is an immune disorder, I was terrified that I would have a reaction to the dye. From the moment I left the hospital things turned really bad.

I went to A&E twice and had the doc visit me at home within the first week. Symptoms were chest tightness/pain, difficult breathing, heart racing - all things I later found to be anxiety related (thanks to reading this site). There was another symptom though - my stomach area felt like I was winded and I had a constant "falling" sensation. This was never investigated. 4 weeks later, after several more doc visits (inc 2 courses of antibiotics for a throat infection that still hasn't gone) they prescribed beta blockers and antidepressants. I was sure that the stomach thing wasn't right, that it was in some way responsible for the rising feelings of panic and not the other way round. I stopped the antidepressants after 1 tablet, they made me completely disconnected.

To cut a very long story short, I went to stay with a friend and despite her efforts and care, I slipped further into despair. I couldn't sleep, I had terrible angst-ridden nightmares that woke me with a start every 20 mins. this was it - I had had enough. As a last resort, I called in another friend who is a complementary therapist. She listened intently as I blubbed my way through the saga for the nth time, then she examined my abdomen. She believed that my diaphragm was in spasm and had probably been that way since the xray (where they also put heavy weights on your abdomen to keep the dye up in the kidneys while they take the xrays). Anyway, hurrah - someone was listening and telling me there WAS something physical and it was not in my mind. She then started reflexology on my feet and while she was talking, I had the strangest fluttering sensation in the stomach area - it freaked me out but she confirmed that she was working on that area of my feet and that's what's supposed to happen! I was a complete sceptic about alternative therapy until that moment. She had released the cramp I had been suffering with and oh the relief!!! I felt like a weight had been lifted, quite literally.

I still have the aching tense chest muscles, racing heart and my stomach still feels a bit odd, especially after food, but I am on the mend. I have panicky feelings and get dizzy but am learning to cope. It's all new to me as I was relatively OK a couple of months ago (although reading another post earlier made me realise I had been heading for this for a number of years it seems)!

The posts on this fantastic site have made me understand exactly what's going on and roughly where I am in the process. I had never been so frightened in my life and I am both glad and appalled that there are so many of you out there suffering in a similar way.

I have quite a few questions and maybe some of my experiences of late can be helpful to others, so I'll see you all on the other forums.

Eeb

Hi Eeb

I am a newbie to, and yes, this is a fantastic site.

I am pleased you are getting better.

Best wishes

Trish x

Eeb

A warm welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Thanks for the intro post.

I too have had reflexology for stomach problems - mine are all acid indigestion related type issues - and interestingly enough as I am typing this I just realised that since I had it in July I have not had any problems atall. So that is quite amazing cos I used to get them a lot and so it could have been the relflexology that helped.

Anyway, I am rambling sorry.

I am pleased the other posts on here have helped you understand what is happening to you etc and how to cope with it.

It is sad to see so many people on here with issues but you know what? It is also lovely to see people get better and move on and it is sites like this that are so lacking in the NHS today. I believe we, as sufferers, can offer much better support to each other than a doctor can who has never been there and whilst there are sufferers out there this site will continue to run.

Please ask away with the questions and we will try to help ok?

Nicola

Welcome aboard!!

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

Thanks for the lovely welcome Trish and Nicola. I have been lurking on the site for the last week while and in that time I have made the leap of faith into actually believing that most of my symptoms are anxiety related, rather than just reading the words.

Nicola, I think I read on another thread that you are only about 15 mins away from me! I'm can't make it to MK but it would be a crime not to touch base sometime. It's all been such a life-changing experience that I'm still a bit shell-shocked by it all, but have also learnt a lot already. Things like the benefits of asking for help and fully experiencing the warmth of human kindness. I have been rescued from the brink and I would like to do what I can to help others - as you say, it's hard for anyone to understand unless they've been there.

Thanks again.

Eeb x

Hiya Eeby

Welcome to the site. Thankyou for sharing your story

love

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
    Will I ever be free?
    Wake me up from this nightmare.
    Please just give me the key!

hi eeby.

welcome to the site. ur story is so simular to mine. i hop you find this site helpful cos i know i have. mine started 2 yrs ago now.

lin x

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Nicola, I think I read on another thread that you are only about 15 mins away from me! I'm can't make it to MK but it would be a crime not to touch base sometime.
    <div align="right">Originally posted by EebyJeeby - 09 November 2005 : 22:20:57</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Oh where are you if I live in Potton? We can still meet up sometime.

Nicola

Hi Eeby

A big warm welcome to the forum

Kazo xxx

Hi Eeby

WELCOME TO THE SITE

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information