Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden Birds

Re: Garden Birds

I reckon our dog would love that recipe too and I'll never get him away from them!!!

When I'm out at night, I'm always on the lookout for the rabbits on the verge, for deer, badgers or foxes. It makes the journey rather enjoyable because you're always hoping to see some wildlife! We also get alot of kestrels and lapwings around here but this autumn we kept hearing a young buzzard calling which was unusual. You often see the adults circling but don't often see the young. Watching herons fly over is also one of those rarer sights. One morning I saw a heron sitting on a rooftop. They have a pond in their garden so you can guess what he was after!!! Another time I was next door and they showed me this big hole under their fence. What had happened was a fox had crawled down a gap to get in their garden but found himself trapped so he dug a hole to get out the other end! Nice hole to fill in!

One of the funniest things I saw the other day which wasn't so funny for our neighbour was when I saw their cat attempt to climb up their Ford KA bonnet because she likes laying on the roof. This time she misjudged it and couldn't get a grip so with claws out she slid down again leaving her calling card behind her and gave up. I told next door and they said to me they wondered where the scratches in their paintwork had come from! She doesn't jump on my car thank goodness!

You reminded me of this vid with what I think is a beautiful piece of music. I can picture you counting those birds!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLxwamNHdXs
    Last edited by Bill; 17-11-09 at 05:21.

Hi Bill

Yes I know what you mean. I think any journey any where by foot or car is made much more enjoyable by the sight of some wildlife!

I always seems to see kestrels hovering at the edge of the motorway and one early morning I saw a barn owl which made my day.

I went birdwatching not so long ago and saw a stoat rear up on its back legs, have a quick look round and then dart off into the grass. Cant tell you what a thrill that was!

To be honest I'm just as happy seeing a spiders web twinkling in the morning dew against a brilliant blue sky.....its the small things in life that can make all the difference!

.....I really enjoyed the vid and the lovely music. Thank you so much.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
    (Herm Albright)

Hi Bill

Love the vid......it actually reminds me of the time I went to fly birds of prey. I loved every minute of flying these beautiful birds until I had a PA in the middle of it! I went off to the ladies to pull myself together and then returned and carried on. I was having too much fun to let a little old PA spoil my fun!! ....sometimes you've just got to get back on the horse and carry on .....Lex xxx

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
    (Herm Albright)

The closest I've been to a flock(?) of birds of prey were red kites in Wales. Never seen so many in one field before! Took a video of them.

Didn't know you preferred a horse to a car!? Good for the garden too!...but not for the neighbours! (phew!)

I think I would prefer a horse to a car!! Cant see me panicking on a horse for some reason although I've panicked loads in a car

It would be lovely to see some red kites. I've been to plenty of places in north wales. Snowdonia is lovely and very good for bird watching .

(Herm Albright)

If the horse took off, I think you'd panic....me too!

Wales is a lovely country and so are the people I've met from there. We saw our first wild dolphins there as well as the seals. I've climbed Snowdon as well as Ben Nevis and the Cumbrian mtns. Being on top of a mountain you feel completely free of everything that confines you at home and in your life. As the old expression goes, "free as a bird"! Just wish I was as fit as I was 15 years ago!

I live in N Wales. Until a year ago, we had horses. I much prefer them to cars. Nowadays I'm restricted to the birds, squirrels, hedgehogs, fox, newts and fish in my back garden.

Yes I think I would panic if the horse took off....it would be like being in some sort of Harry Potter film. I might enjoy it when I calmed down

Oh I love walking. I've been out a few times with my Dad who's in a rambling club. He's in his 60's and I'm in my 40's and he puts me to shame....and he's got arthritis in both knees!

Cumbria is probabaly my favourite place to visit in the UK. Lots of great walks and fabulous scenery especially in the autumn which is my favourite season. ...oh and its brilliant for bat watching!!

(Herm Albright)

I've been behind a bolting horse in harness. Quite terrifying!

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information