Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Inositol Guide: PsychoPoet Research Initiative

Re: The Inositol Guide: PsychoPoet Research Initiative

The Inositol I bought were 650mg capsules. It says the dosage for OCD is 18g/day. Does that mean I'm supposed to take 28 pills a day?!!!

im not sure about your question but ive just joined and like to say hello to you and anyone online

I was curious if it is ok to take 0.25 mg (the smallest dose) of Xanax while also taking Inositol (currently around 6 grams/day) only once in a blue moon when I'm coming close to a panic attack. I had a job interview last week (trigger) & had my toddler in the car (2nd trigger) and the nerves and stress were starting to override the Inositol's effects a bit. I didn't go into a full-blown attack but I was at the threshold. I was too afraid to take my once trusty tiny dose of Xanax, but would like to know if it would be safe in the future? Thanks very much for any information!

Quote Originally Posted by NoPoet View Post
    Powder versus Pills

Which do I want - powder form, or tablet form?

This depends on your needs. Powder form is the most expensive and the main issue is you won't be able to gauge exact doses (although your dose strength does not have to be exact, remember this is not a medicine). Depending on use, one tub or bag of inositol powder could potentially last for a few weeks to a few months. therefore, powder will probably give you the best return for your money as long as you're happy with not knowing exactly how much you're getting. There should be a rough guide on the back of the back - read the instructions.

By contrast, tablet tubs are only slightly cheaper and do not last nearly as long, but you know exactly how much you are taking. This would be the route to go down if higher doses of inositol give you the "two bob bits".

Taking Inositol

How do I take inositol?

Tablets are usually around 650mg each in the UK and around 1g (or 100mg) each in the USA. "Mg" stands for milligram and "G" stands for gram. There are a thousand milligrams in one gram, a bit like how there are 1,000 managers in the NHS for every one nurse. The usual supplementary dose is 1-3 tablets per day, taken with food to reduce the risk of it causing nausea or making you need the toilet.

If you take powder, the usual daily dose is something like 1/4 of a teaspoon three times per day, taken with food. 1/4 of a teaspoon is approximately 1g, or 1000mg. Be sure you do not get teaspoons (the little ones) confused with tablespoons (the big ones)! You can dissolve the powder in water and drink the lot or you can eat the powder and wash it down with water.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoPoet View Post
    Inositol Side Effects

Medical trials indicate few or no side effects from taking up to 18g of inositol a day. That is a very substantial dose and, in practice, it is more than most people will want or need to take.

However, if you start taking higher doses you should be aware of the following possibilities:

* Flatulence
    * Stomach upset/nausea
    * Increased need for the toilet
    There is a useful website here showing outcomes from the studies:

http://examine.com/supplements/inositol/

Something I spotted could be useful in how you take inositol as it made the point that gel capsules at 30% of the powder dosage have been observed to deliver the same level. So, I assume this is because so much is wasted in some way? This needs some further researching and I'm wondering whether this then also reduces the side effect profile of the higher doses because lower doses may have less of an impact on anxiety disorders when compared to the effects on other physical problems like PCOS.

The application of a soft gel to inositol (a shell filled with a liquid or semi-solid fluid to remove any dissolution rate-limiting steps) has been shown to reduce the requirements of 2-4g myo-inositol powder down to 600-1,200mg of the myo-inositol via softgel and this 30% oral dose has been found to be equally efficacious in a trial on women with PMS related dysphoria (12g myo-inositol powder performing equally to 3.6g via softgels).

So, an another option is it works out cheaper could be to buy bulk powder and empty gel capsules and create your own pills to enhance delivery in a cost efficient manner. I haven't looked at this cost yet but it seems worth a mention if it could help somebody.

If you Google "inositol and anxiety", this thread comes up in the top 3.

I have complex PTSD which is acquired in childhood vs the typical PTSD we generally read about regarding adult onset for war vets. I experience high levels of anxiety, agoraphobia, panic attacks but most significantly I want to address Inositol in a completely different way because I have not noticed anyone connecting these dots.

A Complex PTSD event includes massive panic attacks which mimic heart attacks. There are additional symptoms connected to "fight or flight" that simply continue to escalate to potentially lethal levels. The ONLY drug that can shut this process down; all the symptoms are generated psychosomatically, is Xanax. It's the only way to stop the brain from firing these shots; i.e. hypertension at stroke out levels.

Xanax is only effective as a bandaid. It is wildly addictive and tolerance is easily reached often requiring higher doses to control symptoms. Withdrawing from Xanax is absolutely necessary otherwise you are taking a brain-eating drug to no effect. That's where no one seems to be connecting the dots. There are entire hospitals dedicated to helping people withdraw from benzos and Xanax is the worst of them but guess what? Inositol can be used to withdraw from Xanax while also reducing anxiety, panic attacks and the horrific withdrawal symptoms. I was absolutely shocked at how comfortably I dropped one half mg of Xanax at a time; at two and three week intervals, while taking 15grams of Inositol a day in two divided doses. I used the Life Extension Foundation brand of straight Inositol.

The last time I had to withdraw from Xanax was hell. Just going down 1/8 of a mg. at two to four week intervals was absolutely miserable and produced all the same symptoms; albeit at more moderate levels, for which I had taken the drug in the first place. The only difference this time was the Inositol. It certainly may not work for everyone as well as it did for me but I had no side effects worth mentioning and was able to complete Xanax withdrawal with minimal discomfort going down at half mg doses every three weeks. I simply wanted to share that information for anyone using benzos. Hope it helps.

There is another drug called Lexotan that helps wth Complex PTSD,as I have suffered with it for years,lexotan is also very addictive but very good drug.I only take it when I need to.

is it ok taking inositol with Citalopram or any other SSRIs?

I'm going to give this a try- been panicking 15yrs without taking any meds

There are a thousand milligrams in one gram, a bit like how there are 1,000 managers in the NHS for every one nurse.
    Heh, I forgot I wrote that. My local practice has 2 doctors, a nurse, two receptionists/admin and five managers. In other words, patients don't actually want to see 70% of its staff. Waiting times to see a doctor are currently three weeks. Bravo NHS, with this continuing dedication we could be a third-rate nation in only a decade.

Terry's mention of gel capsules is interesting. I don't think the gel capsule of inositol existed when I wrote this guide. There's probably something in the gel which makes you absorb more of it. I guess you'd have to do a cost/benefit analysis to compare it to powder, although the results might vary for everyone (for example, I didn't need anywhere near 18g to benefit even though I have OCD symptoms), prices will vary, and it seems to be hard to get inositol powder without some genius sticking choline in, or something else that you shouldn't take if you're suffering from mood problems.

There's bound to be some natural wastage if you combine the powder with water and drink it. It's a lot to absorb.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    If you Google "inositol and anxiety", this thread comes up in the top 3.
    Heh, that's awesome, potentially millions of people will now see my opinionated rantings :P

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Comfy View Post
    The Inositol I bought were 650mg capsules. It says the dosage for OCD is 18g/day. Does that mean I'm supposed to take 28 pills a day?!!!
    Correct. That's why I said to get the powder. However you might benefit from just one 650mg tablet a day, there's no way to know without trying it.

EDIT: I just updated this guide for the first time in over 13 months
    Last edited by NoPoet; 10-03-16 at 00:58.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Hi, I just started taking Inositol, L-Theanine and L-Trytophan (all simultaneously) I do feel much much calmer and the effect was fairly immediate. I've only been taking these over the last few days and feel a marked improvement.

I noticed that by the end of the day the effect wears off. I take them in the morning and am thinking of dosing them twice a day now. I was just wondering if others had similar results or guidance on dosing..

thanks!

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread Information