Thread: Migraines

Migraines

So to follow on from my other post (and prevent me from googling, which will inevitably lead to other horrible illnesses coming up) who has much experience with migraines??

I have never had them prior to the last 5 weeks. In this time I have probably had about 7-8 of them. A couple of examples, went for a drink a few weeks ago and had terrible headaches that started in the night, then went and drank a pint and a half of lager and a glass of red wine and that night woke up with the awful headache again. Its always on the left and pulsates - it certainly feels 'like' what people describe a migraine as. Other times they have been set off by stress, worry and tension (I think).

Hope I can get some advise from you all, like I said it makes more sense to ask here than ask google!!! Thanks.

Re: Migraines

Please don't google! The best thing you can do is go and see your doctor.

My daughter has suffered with migraines since she was 10 years old. There are different types with different symptoms.

A reliable source of information is The Migraine Trust : http://www.migrainetrust.org/

had them since i was 13. they used to make me violently ill >.<

and i had a whole host of visual and sensory nasties. they call it a migrainous "aura".

I've had them for about 5 years. The red wine is a no no for me...ultimate migraine trigger.

I've had migraines on and off, luckily they have subsided in the last few years. Like Sleepless said, wine is a no no for me also (and probably you by the sound of it). I find that if I'm dehydrated it is a trigger, so make sure that water is drunk (if you're like me, alcohol and fizzy drinks just make it worse). Camomile and valerian tea helps me (can buy it at Tesco). Also, you may wish to try something to relax you whenever you feel stressed (e.g. deep breathing, relaxing music). You may need to try a few things before you find what relaxes and destresses you. Also, do you take painkillers to help? I take 2x Nurofen Meltlets and they usually work (although again, you may need to try to see what will work for you). Also, sleeping it off works for me (but if you're at work, I wouldn't recommend that)! :-)

Thanks everyone , that's given me some info to think about. Just finding it weird how they have started at aged 29, I thought they started earlier in life.

My Dad actually said that red wine and lager can give him headaches and I should drink only proper brewed beer - which I like anyway!

Claire, when I have woke up after a drink and had the migraine I have felt VERY dehydrated - maybe that plays a big part, never had it happen before though. The good part is that I been feeling less tense so obviously that helps a lot.

Thread Information