Thread: new, advice needed

new, advice needed

Hi,

I have also posted this on the welcome forum but didn't know how many people read and replied to it so thought i'd post it here as well.

I've just returned from a trip to the doctors with a presciption slip for Escitalopram & Zopiclone and naturally have never heard of these medicines before so have looked them up and found this site.

I initially went to the doctors cause of a chest infection but mentioned about panic attacks and depression in passing and after further discussions he has advised me to take these and see how i go.

To explain during my teenage years i abused a lot, starting with a cannabis addiction that has left me very paranoid about most things. I have completely stopped taking all drugs, it has only been 3 months now but i have no desire to ever take anything again after i have come to realise the effects it has had on me, which i fear will be permanent.

Over the last year i have entered into a long term relationship with my girlfriend who also suffers from depression and panic attacks also due to drug abuse. I have always told her that she shouldn't take her anti depressants and that she would be better without them as i never thought that chemicals were never the answer to fix a problem.

Now last night her drink was spiked and after telling me this while i was at work i completely broke down with panic attacks, anxiety and tearfulness. This not being the first time i have had felt like this but one of the most extreme.

After reading things such as "going cold turkey" and "getting off Escitalopram" i am concerned about starting this course of medication. I do have an addictive personality and really don't want to form a chemical dependency even in the form of a medicine.

I would really appreciate some advice from people who have been in a similar situation.

Is this course of medication only short term? as in if i take them for a month and then come off them will my panic attacks have improved or do they only help while on them?

Is it possible to only take them when feeling patricularly down/panicy or when i know i may be in a situation where there is the possibility i will be panicy. Most of the time i feel panicy, paranoid or depressed is when i'm not with my girlfriend as we don't live together, most of the time i'm fine when i'm with her or know that she is at my house, i hate to make this sound like a control issue, it is just there have been many situations that have happened when she is on her own or goes out on her own and this really worries me. To cut a story short if i took them when i knew i would be feeling like this would they help me? would my body feel the side effects of not taking them if i took them sporadicaly?

Do these actually really help and are they worth getting into the cycle of a chemical dependancy?

Any help is really appreciated as i really am on the fence of whether i need this or is advisable to take these.

Thanks,

Gooner

Re: new, advice needed

hi the only one i know of is zopiclone its a sleeping tab very good but yes addictive i cant do without them there the only tab that works for my anxciety ,,been on them 3 years ,,2 every night,sorry cant help with others ,be strong

Medication is useful as a first line of support and this helps combat the anxiety etc. But its not about being on them for ever and more about short term use. Short term can be 1-3 yrs but during this time I would suggest seeking support via mental health support teams who via your doctor may suggest CBT or some other approach.
    Yes some medications are addictive and yes some people struggle to come off of them but again there is support to lessen this.
    We have moved light years away from just giving drugs and leaving you on them.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsywomen View Post
    hi the only one i know of is zopiclone its a sleeping tab very good but yes addictive i cant do without them there the only tab that works for my anxciety ,,been on them 3 years ,,2 every night,sorry cant help with others ,be strong
    Thanks for the reply, the only times i have trouble sleeping are when i'm feeling panicy. Usually i'm absolutley fine, would you suggest using them as a last resort as i'm trying to avoid being in a situation where i am unable to sleep without them.

yes thats a good idea as it des stop it ,and makes you relax they hav bitter tast so if you wake up with funny taste

Thread Information