Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow

Congratulations on not panicking everyone!
    Meg - sounds like your preperation helped a lot of ppl!
    Do you all still have to go to work today? My schools closed so i think i might do the kid thing and play in the snow...lol after i do my coursework, tidy my room,and make some soup!
    Sam

I still have to be at work:( boohoo!!!

Get out in that snow and have fun before it all dissapears!!

Hi all,

I'm SO glad that I am a dinner lady, all schools in Brum are closed today so I got a day off!!!!

Kate x

I am working at home today!

I am going out in the car soon cos Alex wants to show me how to drive it in this weather - lol. Let's hope we don't get stuck.

Nicola

plenty of high gears going up low gears going down and nips of the handbrake to get round bends! you will love it nic!

Well the snow cleared around lunch time.

And was replaced by 2" black ice. There were no patches in it. I made it home from my friends (not passing the gym), and left my car at the top of our lane. Only people with company cars were risking it. Slid home with work bag, gym bag, and two sainsbos carriers. Would probably have been easier to have sat on my rucksack and sledged home!

Got in and received a call from Judy, telling me not to bother going up to do the horses - road impassable due to ice unles in 4WD, and not safe to walk up in dark (unlit country lane), as cars, a lorry and a bus were all stuck trying to get up/down the hill. There are no pavements, and she had visions of me getting squished.

Realised with great pride that I had driven home, and NOT PANICKED. Yeah. About 30 minutes later, realised that I was now panicking cos I couldnt go out that evening, certainly wasn't going out in the car, and hadnt got the horses to do to kill time.

Stupid woman! Today is worse. I am going to request a refund on my council tax, as all the grit bins have been removed, are empty, and not seen sight nor sight of a gritting lorry for four days now.

Glad everybody home safe and sound.

Charlie

yeah why have the grit bins been removed??? Its rubbish if they had bin there

a. I would have been home earlier as we would have salted the huge hill we couldnt get off and
    b. I would be able to get me car off the drive and not have to get a lift into work!!!

Grrr

Matt

Not sure - the more we seem to pay to our poxy county council, the more they remove. The municipal tip is going too - and now they are spending a fortune cleaning the lanes up where everybody is fly tipping.

Total load of t**ts. But thats govenment for you.

We had a protest, and they have bought back one grit bin. Obviously, it stays full for about 5 minutes when the weather is like this, cos people come from far and wide to use the grit.

Charlie

I dont see why they remove them in the first place do you charlie??

Is it down to them being too expensive to maintain??[] I cant really see how they are unless people nick the stuff and use it for errrrm errr shock horror gritting the road??[]

I'm off to jewsons to see if I can buy some! might keep it in the boot lol

The roads round here are very steep and we live right on the top of one!

All our grit bins have also disappeared and the road is just like glass today.

Luckily, the council shut all the schools today so I didn't go out, but there is no way I would have attempted to drive down the hill, anyway!

Well, they must have saved money today by not having to heat all the schools. So, just a suggestion, how about spending the saving on grit bins for the next freezing conditions?

Kate x

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information