Thread: Does Citalopram change you?

Does Citalopram change you?

Apart from helping through depression, do you feel like it changes you?

I'm talking here about after the side effects have stopped so you've been taking them a few months

My Mrs has decided its changed me and has left me, Its hard for me to see myself how I've changed, anyone else got personnel experiences of people saying you've changed?

I did notice I struggle to concentrate when at work, I need to deal with one thing at once rather that juggle loads of jobs like I used to do..

Re: Does Citalopram change you?

In what way did she say it has changed you?

It is normal to go through permanent personality changes during your battle with depression and/or anxiety. A person can hardly go through that and stay the same. If they did, they wouldn't be recovering. These personality changes are brought about by life experience rather than medication.

It is possible for citalopram and other antidepressants to increase agitation, bad temper and anxiety as side effects.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

I think its had the opposite effect on me, I'm more chilled, calmer etc.

I've always hated confrontation and have to deal with it quite often at work. Its strange though, before the med's I use to be afraid of confrontation and stand off a bit, now I feel like I don't care as much (probably worry less, less panic feeling) and get involved quicker..

Its hard as she says she feels more like a failure because I'm taking anti depressants, blames herself which is far from the truth. She doesn't really see it as an illness but a state of mind.

I was on venlafaxine for nearly ten years and although no one said I was any different while I was on it now I have come off I am being told I am much more 'normal'. When I asked a couple of my friends what they meant by this they said I seemed sort of detached and doped for years. My best friend actually told me it had been years since she heard me laugh uncontrollably and she was quite moved when I did this a few weeks after I came off the meds.
    None of these friends knew I had been on meds but they had noticed I was different.

Hi Poet

My first post!
    I've been on citalopram 40mg for about a year. I suffered with anxiety and obtrusive thoughts (OCD) for 9 years previous to going on meds. I could have wept with relief at the respite from all the ugly thoughts and constant chaos going on in my head that citalopram has brought me, It's really been a wonder drug for me (I realise it's not the same for everyone). However, my partner constantly comments on how forgetful I am, how I can seem to 'zone out' every now and again. But my answer to him is that I would rather seem a bit passive than suffer as I did before. I think you have to be really explicit when you are explaining this illness as it is so debilitating and I don't think most people have a clue how awful it is, even those closest to us. We are like alchoholics - very good at hiding it!
    Despite the meds, people go through huge changes just coming through anxiety disorders and depression, it alters your whole wold and how you experience it but at your core, you are still you and this problem does not define you. If your partner does not know this then maybe you are better off doing this thing by yourself - it can only make you stronger and you are not alone, we are here.

Quote Originally Posted by caribou1980 View Post
    Hi Poet

My first post!
    I've been on citalopram 40mg for about a year. I suffered with anxiety and obtrusive thoughts (OCD) for 9 years previous to going on meds. I could have wept with relief at the respite from all the ugly thoughts and constant chaos going on in my head that citalopram has brought me, It's really been a wonder drug for me (I realise it's not the same for everyone). However, my partner constantly comments on how forgetful I am, how I can seem to 'zone out' every now and again. But my answer to him is that I would rather seem a bit passive than suffer as I did before. I think you have to be really explicit when you are explaining this illness as it is so debilitating and I don't think most people have a clue how awful it is, even those closest to us. We are like alchoholics - very good at hiding it!
    Despite the meds, people go through huge changes just coming through anxiety disorders and depression, it alters your whole wold and how you experience it but at your core, you are still you and this problem does not define you. If your partner does not know this then maybe you are better off doing this thing by yourself - it can only make you stronger and you are not alone, we are here.
    great first post, so very true!

Thread Information