Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, I am new and need re-assurance

Hi, I am new and need re-assurance

Hi, I have recently been getting panic attacks whilst driving, I have a very long commute to work (over 2 hours) and I have to drive this every day, the attacks were so bad yesterday that I had to pull over numerous times whilst on the Motorway, it seems to be the M3 that particulary freaks me out !, I am off work sick today but this is about the 3rd day I have taken off sick in as many weeks and my boss is getting less sympathetic, I am just so terrifed of driving to work tomorrow I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any tips on controlling these attacks ?, listening to music has helped but now I am associating certain music with attacks. It is very hard to explain, it all seemed to start in some roadworks on the M3 when it was dark and raining, I leave for work at 6.15 AM so it is always dark, my fear was that if I broke down in the Roadworks I wouldn't be able to get to safety or pull off the road and would hold up all the morning rush hour traffic, that 'paranoia' got worse until I was having a full panic attack. I now don't want to drive in the dark, although I have to and I have not got the option of not going to work as I am the main wage earner in the house and we deperately need the money. I try thinking of other things whilst I am driving but all my brain can seem to do is think about panic attacks, and now I am panicking going to work in case I get into trouble for taking so much time off, it is a vicious circle and panic is breading panic with me, any tips would be gratefully received.

Thanks ever so much

Claire

Claire

Welcome and you are so not alone in this....

I went through a stage where motorways were very difficult for me too but each of us have individual triggers- yours is road works and fear of breaking down.. but seems has moved to include all night time driving.

I picked carefully when I went on motorways and whilst I was acute was fairly gentle on myself and on the way to work allowed myself to use A roads and little roads but made myself do motorways on the way back home for practice and confidence building.

Your thought pattern and logical has gone skew -whif over
    this and you are going to have to re train it to not over react and jump to conclusions

I'm sure Nic will be by shortly as shes very similar to you but doing well and getting some CBT to help even more.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/symptoms.htm

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety

Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective
    Mind Games
    obsessive thoughts & anxiety
    Still suffering this damn "suggestive" thing..
    How to CURE yourself ! The definitive guide here..
    Its happening again !
    Things to consider for success!

Has anyone else felt this symptom?

Hi new member mom w/ panic and dp/dr
    Driving
    driving phobia

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi claire

welcome to the forum, you will find good advice and support here.

As for the panic while driving...I can relate to everything you have mentioned. I used to find chewing some gum or eating sweets while driving used to help me too.

A lot of people find that taking 'Rescue Remedy' bfore leaving helps to calm you down. It is available at nearly all pharmacies (you can get it from Boots). It is a natural plant extract. Here is some info on it:-

http://www.bachshop.com/customer/pro...=43&cat=&page=

Also the most important thing you can do is to not dwell on the feeling of panic, as this will only affirm the sense of panic while driving.

Hope this helps......good luck.
    Tan

Hi Claire

I can really relate to this. The first time I ever had a panic attack, many years ago, was whilst I was driving. It's the feeling that you may not be able to escape quickly if you need to (especially on the motorway). I don't get PA's anymore although I always feel anxious whilst driving which I've learnt to accept.
    It may sound really weird but I found that taking a clear, blue bottle of mineral water with me in the car used to help me. I find the colour blue really restful & calming, the same with water. I associate this item in my car with safety and calm feelings, I know it sounds mad, but it actually worked for me.

Jem xxx

hI Claire

Welcome to the site

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
    Will I ever be free?
    Wake me up from this nightmare.
    Please just give me the key!

Hi Claire,

So glad you have joined us - you are not alone and I'm sure others who can relate to your specific issues will give you some comfort and guidance.

Take Care,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Hi Claire and welcome to NMP where you will get lots of support and make some great friends too![^]

Take Care

Chucklehound

xxxx

Hi Claire

WELCOME TO THE SITE

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

When you fear something,
    learn as much about it as you can.
    Knowledge conquers fear.

Thank you all so much for your advice and welcomes, I am so pleased I have found this site and people that understand what I am going through.

Thanks again

Claire
    x

Claire

Welcome aboard.

I have issues with driving as well so I am hoping to get some more CBT for it.

Go to this page on the website - www.nomorepanic.co.uk/coping and there is a bit on coping whilst driving so see if any of that helps.

I also went to see a psychiatrist last week and she wants me to learn distraction techniques such as finding an object to concentrate on and describe it in as much detail as possible. This could be a signpost, something in the car, a car in front of me, a person etc.

I can understand how you feel so perhaps together we can cure each other!

Hope you get some great support on here.

Nicola

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information