Thread: Reluctant newbie

Reluctant newbie

Hi,

I'm an anxiety sufferer but am reluctant to talk about my fear, as I'm scared that someone will realise who I am, even though of course this isn't true!

The last time I posted on a website I really regretted it as I gave a lot of details of my fear (although under a different name) and got v paranoid that someone would work out it was me.

I would however appreciate the support of others with a similar experience, so could someone tell me how 'safe' it is to post on sites like this? Sorry for sounding stupid, I'm new to forums.

Sweetpea

Hi Sweetpea6

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Re: Reluctant newbie

Hello Sweetpea and
    I suffered from exactly the same concerns re my identity but as long as you don't post personal details there's little danger that you will be recognised.
    I must be honest though, I have been here for a year and a half and in that time my fear of being recognised has diminished a lot..I am surrounded by other people with similar problems, we are all in the same boat or we wouldn't be here in the first place!
    Now I guess I don't really care if someone realises who I am..well, maybe just a teensy bit but it's not really an issue anymore.

Thanks...ooh, it's exciting to get a response! Ok, I'm just going to put it out there (if that's the expression). I suffer from quite bad anxiety, and fear that during a spell of panic I'll lose control of my bladder and wet myself. I am trapped in a vicious cycle of fear. It completely restricts my life- a year ago I was very sociable, very busy, involved in many activities. Now I'm at home, rarely go out and don't even like having friends over as it makes me need a wee! I know it's purely psychological and I'm having CBT. However, I'm not sure if this is working or not, yet worry about all the money my grandparents have spent on it. Aargh, it all feels like one big mess!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea6 View Post
    Thanks...ooh, it's exciting to get a response! Ok, I'm just going to put it out there (if that's the expression). I suffer from quite bad anxiety, and fear that during a spell of panic I'll lose control of my bladder and wet myself. I am trapped in a vicious cycle of fear. It completely restricts my life- a year ago I was very sociable, very busy, involved in many activities. Now I'm at home, rarely go out and don't even like having friends over as it makes me need a wee! I know it's purely psychological and I'm having CBT. However, I'm not sure if this is working or not, yet worry about all the money my grandparents have spent on it. Aargh, it all feels like one big mess!
    Feel better now?

I have seen this problem crop up loads of times before hun, I'm sure there someposts about it on the forum.
    Take your time and have a look around (try typing it in the search function) or you could always post a question about it on the main forum.
    You're not alone so don't worry.

Yep, I've done a bit o' searching. It's a shame that a lot of the people who I can relate to exactly are probably not users of this site anymore, as their last posts were from a year or more ago. I'll keep trying though. And I could be brave and do a big general 'anyone else like me?' post.

Hi sweetpea,

Welcome to the site I used to worry a lot that I would be recognized on one of these sites, and that fear has gone a great deal now as the people are so nice and understanding, it made me feel that I don't need to be ashamed of my problems. It is fine if you want to stay annoymous however, many do and nobody will know who you are as long as you don't give out personal details.
    Don't feel embarrassed to dicuss your fears, there are many others with fears like you and as you read the posts, you will see how open minded and understnading everyone is. Take care

Hi sweetpea, im an anxiety sufferer also and ive only recently decided to ask for help with it after hiding it for many years. As previously said have a wander about the forums, chat to some people and get an insight with some people that may be experiencing the same things as you, i only joined yesterday after reading for a while and so glad i did, just to know there are other people just like you out there is really comforting!
    Im sure you'll find this forum very useful and please dont be embarrassed about anything you want to talk about!
    G

Thanks for getting in touch G, hope to speak to you another time. I've found this site to be really helpful so far, and I only joined today

Thread Information