Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Panic attacks - causing my atrial fibrillation?

Panic attacks - causing my atrial fibrillation?

Hi, I'm 32 yrs old and have suffered on and off with panic attacks for the past 5 years. The panic attacks or threat thereof are now more or less constant. My 3 children are 4 yrs, 2 yrs and 9 mths. The frequency and severity of the panic attacks progressively worsened after each child. Following the birth of each child my consultations have become more frequent and extended. My GP and more recently a consultant are now diagnosing extended post-natal depression with panic attacks.

Following the short term prescription of anti-depressants after each child I am now at the point where I have been prescribed with anti-depressants for a minimum of one year and more likely two to three years. However - and here's the crunch - I have also recently had 2 episodes of AF in the early hours of the morning. Each time I ended up in hospital after seeking advice by phone from our health service (I live in Scotland).

Following admission I had ECG monitoring, thyroid tests etc but they could not find anything wrong with my heart. After about 4 hours my heart went back into normal sinus rythym spontaneously. I am now waiting for an echocardiogram and 24hr ECG as an out patient.

The bottom line is that on top of the ever present fear of my panic attacks these recent episodes of AF, which were only 3 wks apart, have really frightened me. Dramatic as it may sound to some I now live in mortal fear of another attack and hate being left alone, especially with 3 dependent babies and toddlers.

On top of the long term anti-depressants my consultant has now also had to prescibe a muscle relaxant for night time to help me sleep. He has also doubled my dose of anti-depressants.

Please, can someone tell me if my panic attacks have triggered my AF or is it a completely separate problem. Even hearing from similar sufferers and sharing experiences would be of some comfort.

Many thanks

Jo

Hi Jo

Whilst tachycardia either in short bursts or prolonged episodes are very common in panic as well as all sorts of palpitations and ectopics, fully documented and diagnosed AF is not.

It is possible that the adrenalin produced during a panic may have an effect on the sino atrial node or further down the conduction pathway and is triggering the AF or it may possibly be coincidental. Your cardiologist is the one to take the lead from here.

Have you been on your current medication for some months now and are at steady dose ?

If your consultant thinks a muscle relaxant is of benefit then for self help you may well see a large benefit from taking up an active relaxation such as yoga or meditation.
    If you are alone with 3 infants/toddlers I know this will be hard but may be worth exploring.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Jo--

Funny that you should post this as I just read an article about AF in my Grandma's cardiologist's office last week.

Research now is proving that approx. 85-90% of all anxiety sufferers develop atrial fibrillation. There is now advanced research going on and even a new branch of medicine called "behavioral cardiology" being designed to specifically address this type of issue.

I do know that my dad has AF--has had for years, and his dr's have told him that it is really nothing to worry about you. AFib doesn't hurt you, VFib does. Hope it helps?
    Brandy

Brandy,

If you could source that article for me or remember what journal it was in I would be grateful as I would be very interested in reading it as I've not seen that research so far.

Of all the anxiety and sufferers we have here, we have a high incidence of the common palpitations but very few real diagnosed AF.

The palpitations we all have is a mild type of very intermittant AF but not the continual sort that Jo is referring to.

Meg

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Research now is proving that approx. 85-90% of all anxiety sufferers develop atrial fibrillation</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    God I hate statistics, I produce stats in my job all day and I know that on tweak here and or one tweak there can change a statistic entirely.

Where do they get those conclusions, if a panic sufferer (like me ) reads that I think...great that will be me then but the new improved panic sufferer (me again ) knows that there is no way on this earth that statistic can be correct why - they are not reporting the mitigating circumstances for example:

If your study is based on 100 people with AF - those figures suggest 85-90 people have panic attacks. So is that having panic attacks, have had panic attacks or have occasionally or once had a panic attack. Are these 100 people on med, not on meds, have in the past had meds? Have these 100 people got hereditary heart problems? Have they other medical problems, are they males or females...bla, bla, bla.

I just thought I should post this in-case anyone reading suddenly know fears that they will be one of those 85-90% - YOU WILL NOT BE.

The only two true statistics in life are 100% - you will be born and you will die and there are NO mitigating circumstances here.

Sorry Jo

Rant over - poor you, no wonder you are feeling streesed at the moment. It is horrid when you wake at night with a racing heart, I had this for months before I ever had a proper daytime panic attack.

Try not to live in fear though, easier said than done I know but you will just be fueling the anxiety.

I know you will feel better if you start to get some proper rest and sleep.

Take care.

Angie

Hiya
    Im so sorry you are feeling bad at the moment.This site is fantastic for support though,i hope it helps you
    Can you tell me what AF is/feels like please?
    Hunny xx

Thanks everybody for your comments - they have helped. Hunny - just to answer your question about what AF is/feels like, it is when your heart goes irregular and can one minute beat at say 90bpm and then be racing at 170bpm and it stays in this rythm for hours or sometimes days. You are just aware of your heart going slow then really fast - it is a horrible and frightening sensation. I have had a racing heart on countless occassions and missing beats, palpitations etc over the last 5 years but this was different so perhaps it is a seperate issue which of course makes me even more anxious than before! I havent really considered relaxation groups but could look into evening groups when my husband would be at home to look after the kids. I have only been on my anti-depressants for 7 weeks (only one of these weeks on the double dose) so I guess I will have to be patient until they start taking effect properly. And until I have all my tests carried out I will probably continue to worry excessively (knowing me)!

jayaar

Meg,

I will try to find out what the name of the publication was that I read at the Dr.s office. I didn't post this to scare anybody---that was not my intent. I fully realize that statistics are just that--statistics. I am not stupid and I know that sometimes these percentages are based on a small "target" group and they can be swayed either way with a number of different variables.

What interests me so much about this is my dads condition. His doctors and family have thought that he has suffered from anxiety for a long time, and that that in itself may be the cause for the different heart things that he presents with. Just curious that he has palpitations, vtach and atrial fib at times and that the Docs think that he has anxiety.

I will let you know what I find out.

Brandy

Thanks Brandy. I'm interested.

Meg xx

Meg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information