Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: escitalopram and sex, for men.

Exclamation escitalopram and sex, for men.

Hello, My name is Ric M.

I took citolopram about 5 years ago, and although it was really great at first, and seemed to give me my life back, it was not without it's problems. I noticed sexual problems, and it gave me a lack of sex drive, and inability to feel orgasm, and I ended up breaking up with a nice girl mostly because of it. Cos basically, if I wanted to have sex, I'd have to not take any for a few days beforfe i saw her, then because of what most people call withdrawl sypmotoms [which I call the second phase in the drug cycle] I was really angry and moody and often coudn't gather my thoughts ect, so although my sex drive came back, I became so angry and irritable around her, so it all caused problems.

Anyway, I've been gertting off it as slowly as possible, and was feeling pretty good, but I hadn't taken any for about 2 months, and I was feeling really anxious and panicky, so I got into the habit of taking herbal highs, which are like a herbal form of ecstasy, which make you really high and happy, ect, and I got into a habit of taking those. I know it's not the answer, but I wasn't thinking.

Anyway, I had a major crash 2 weeks ago, and I went zombified, and I couldn't function, so I called in sick from work. I thought, this can't go on, so I saw my GP, and he recommended this drug, escitalopram, and said it has fewer side effects, and isn't habit forming, and could help. The Doctor's a really nice man, and I know he's doing wha he's been trained to do, but I wonder if he's just repeating what the drug companies want him to.

So, I just want to ask, is their any men out there, who've taken this, or have taken it. And How it's affected their sex [or masturbation] life. Can you get erections? Can you orgasm? How's it different? Is it worth it?

I don't have a girlfriend now, but basically I never will if I don't get my problems sorted, namely,
    1. to function and get on with my life, and be productive and happy, and go to work and
    2. To be a fully functioning male!!

Please respond guys. I need the input. I haven't taken it yet, si i need advice. Also, to the people talking about coming off this med, I have a question: If it's so good why would you want to come off it?

Thanks, Ric M from Greater Manchester x x

Re: escitalopram and sex, for men.

I've only started taking this med today, so I can't offer any answers yet. I tell you, though, reading so much about the sexual dysfunction side-effects is making me a little nervous about what's to come (or not!).

Thanks Restless Ron, know what you mean, I'm nervous about taking it too! I haven't taken it yet though, but I've been given 2 weeks off work to get myself together. I had a disciplinery and basically one last chance to sort myself out, and if I mess up again I'll be fired!!! Cos of all the panic attacks last time, I was skipping work and not phoneing in!!!

The Doc said escitalopram is an updated version of Citolopram, and has fewer side effects, but I'd just like to see what men who've taken the stuff say. I've been perscribed 5mg daily. We'll see.

Thanks for the reply, tell me how it's going would you? Thanks.

yeah escitalopram as far as I know is citalopram with fewer side effects, though i guess the SEs varies with different folk, I can tell you that Citalopram causnig sexual problems is VERY common in men heres why -

Its based on bromide, this chemical is infamous for causing TEMPORARY reduction of libido, sex drive, and poor erection, they used to put it in soldiers' tea to stop them thinknig about sex and getting aroused(thus keeping their minds on military matters i presume)

Its so good at doing this that its not unheard of to be prescribed to men who suffer over much with premature ejaculation, as a way of treating this.

I'm on citalopram 30mg, and have beeen on it previous to this and it definately does knock your sex drive a bit, though in the pasty week ive started to see an improvement in that.

hope this helps

Dan

Thanks Dan. So then does escitalopram also contain bromide then? Just wanted to see if has the same sxual side effects. I'm not too bothered about any other side effects, just that one.

Cheers Dan. ANy other guys had escitalopram though? Does it do the same?
    Just got a new girlfriend BTW, so don't wanna screw it up with her.

Arrow Re: escitalopram and sex, for men.

Hello Ric M.
    I have taken escitalopram and it does destroy sexual desires, as well as make it nearly impossible to become erect. It also had very similar effects when my spouse took it a few years later. We both had to immediately stop taking it.

As for your other question about whether the doc was pressured into prescribing it, there is a very easy way to determine this. Ask the doc if the meds she is prescribing are available in a generic form, and, if not, if she has any samples for you. "If the med is available generically, the doc is not being pressured." If the med is not available generically, most likely it is very, very pricey and the doc has been pressured into writing prescriptions for it. Also, the presence of fresh samples of the drug in her office (especially meds that are not available generically) indicates that a pharmaceutical rep has been in her office lobbying for more prescriptions.

-B

I switched to escitalopram a few months ago and take 20mg a day now as opposed to what I used to take which was 10mg of citalopram per day. My doctor here in Korea switched me because I was going through a period of severe social anxiety with my workmates which were compounded by depressing relationship problems.

Anyway, since then I've experienced a much lower sex drive and have been almost completely unable to ejaculate during sex. With masturbating too, it has been much harder to do so.

I want to ween myself off this and try using 'new mood' (as sold at onnit.com). Has anyone had success with this?

Hey JJ,

Your actually taking equivalent of 40 mg of Citalopram on 20mg of lexapro so you are bound to have some issues down there!

You could try talking to your doctor and ask to lower to 15 or 10? But if you are feeling less anxious socially and going well at work it would be un wise to change....

It will get better that's for sure..... I remember being on Citalopram on a high dose 40-60mg and it was hard for 3 months sexually but it got better....

I'm on 20mg of lexapro like you now but I don't have any problems....

The less you think about it the better it will be! It's frustrating but it will get better!

Cheers.

Ther is a yahoo group for this syndrome known as PSSD, SSRIsex@yahoogroups.com. The problem is more common than many doctors realise perhaps because men are less willing to report it.

One of us
    Made for justice, we clamour for vengeance.
    Made for relationship, we insist on our own way.
    Made for beauty, we are satisfied with sentiment.
    But new creation has already begun.
    The sun has begun to rise.

Tom Wright, The Bishop of Durham
    from Simply Christian

From what I have read, escitalopram is expensive and therefore drs avoid prescribing it. However, I don't see how it would exceed the hefty 7.65 us taxpayers pay for it!! Perhaps less profit...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information