Thread: Swollen tongue....underactive thyroid???

Swollen tongue....underactive thyroid???

Hi,

I have auto immune hypothyroidism that started around 7 years ago. Even though the antibody number on the blood tests were ridiculously high, my thyroid stimulant hormone was at the higher side of normal and my thyroid function was at the lower side of normal (but both still just within the normal ranges) so the doctor said that I was just sub-clinical so to be honest, I didn't really ever take this seriously.

Over the years, I haven't been compliant with thyroxine simply because this all started after I gave birth to my daughter. It isn't something I had before so I suppose in the beginning I thought if I gave myself some time, it might sort itself out. Also I thought because the thyroid stimulant hormone and thyroid function were still in the normal range, it couldn't have been that bad!!!

Well, I haven't had it checked for over a year but even though I do feel sluggish and cold, find it a little hard to loose weight even though I ensure I eat just what I need to eat and not what I want to eat the biggest and a little scariest symptom I now have is a SWOLLEN TONGUE!!!

I have anxiety also and irregular heart beats, chest pain and pain that goes down my arm and to my jaw for which I've seen a Cardiologist who said they're just down to 'stress' but this swollen tongue thing has got me frightened because it's very thick and very large and I'm worried that if it continues to get bigger, I won't be able to breath - it's enough to send me into a state of panic yet again!!!

I wonder if any of you who are reading this may have an underactive thyroid and have a swollen tongue??? Please could you help put my mind at rest?

I'm seeing doctor today to have my thyroid tests done because I think the time has come to start taking this thing seriously.

Thanks for reading xx

Re: Swollen tongue....underactive thyroid???

That is scary I have a slight underactive thyroid and my tongue swells now and again.. i'm not sure whether its because of the thyroid or because i get really allergic to sugar now and again but it would be good to get tests for sure just in case, mine went down after a day or two, it doesn't half make you anxious though. xx

Thread Information