Thread: Slightly weird question..

Slightly weird question..

Hiya all.

I honestly didn't know where to put this one, here or Panic Attacks or General Anxiety
    I haven't been out much at all recently, I went through a particularly nasty bout of depression and although I'm functioning much better now, it feels like it is just lurking ready to strike again.

Anyway..I digress
    I went to see my mum yesterday and as my daughter wanted to go to the market, I said I would go. (Have avoided it for weeks). I made the shortish walk (about 10 mins) with my daughters but boy, did I feel bad!
    It was raining again yesterday, the pavements were soaking wet and can you believe the reflective glare of them was really disconcerting to me? It looked like one long sheet of ice almost shimmering..it really threw me.
    I had to stop a few times to slow my breathing and I realised that my visual perception was totally off key..I was struggling to see things a short distance away (I am short sighted but this was different), they actually seemed hazy and very dim.
    I have given this a bit of thought and realsied that this affects me a lot..in summer when it's bright the effect seems to be heightened, I have to cover my eyes to be able to see any distance.
    I also know from past experience that when I am outdoors and a bit "nervy" my sense of hearing is heightened, passing traffic deafens me and makes me jump.
    Does anybodt else have this type of thing? Please say yes!

Re: Slightly weird question..

Hi Ladybird, I hpoe you are ok . I do understand what you mean , all our senses are heightened when we feel anxious and nervous , our bodies are very clever , because it knows that we may not be paying attention to keep ourselves safe, so i suppose you could say it' s a fight or flight thing and it's just protecting us from danger and making us very aware.
    A friend of our family who had a stroke many years ago and is now in a wheelchair has many strange experiences when she is out , she sees things in different forms and everything is loud to her, I guess she is using all of her senses and more now, it can be very daunting for her to go out.
    You had not been out for a while Ladybird so of course you would have been apprehensive. If it ever does happen again try to think of it another way , of how intelligent your body is keeping you safe, ok it has a weird way of going about it but hey we should be used to it by now lol .
    Hugs to you Ladybird, I have missed you in chat, Hope you feel better soon Love Paige xxx

Re: Slightly weird question..

My peripheral vision is the first to go when I am anxious. I often "see" things move or jump at the side of me when I am like that. I misjudge kerbs too. I also find bright light affects my eyesight - a very bright white sky more so than a blue one. I have the sun visor down on the car most of the year.

Thread Information