Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep Sleep Sleep AAAHHHHHH!!!!

Sleep Sleep Sleep AAAHHHHHH!!!!

Whats wrong with me??? I wish for just one night i could have a good sound nights sleep.....

This has effected me for many years and i bet there is many on this site that suffer the same, has anyone got any advice, i refuse to take sleeping medication as i have to leave home for work and drive 10 miles at 5am and worrie i would be a danger behind the wheel..

Tried stopping up really late, but still i wake up not long after i am lucky if i am getting 3 hours of broken sleep a night now and feel totally exhausted i tend to sleep in short burst maybe 30mins in which i seem to dream the strangest of dreams then i wake and lay for what seems ages then drift off again into another strange dream only to wake again sometimes when i wake i feel panic, i think this is from the dream and i have to calm myself down, i try and tell myself its daft oclock in the morning its dark and cold outside and i am snug in a nice warm bed just go back to sleep but it doesnt work so i lay staring into the darkness..
    at the moment my inbuilt clock seems to wake me up at 2.20am, i did once get it to 4.15am but still not much sleep when waking during the night many.
    Is there anyone who can deal with this i have spoke to my doctor but he seems to brush it to one side and deals more with my anxiety and depression, but i believe sleep is haveing a massive impact on that...

I really cant go on like this forever its getting me so down....

Dan

Re: Sleep Sleep Sleep AAAHHHHHH!!!!

Have you tried listening to the radio or an audio-book? I do this when I wake up sometimes, early in the morning. Focusing on something other than my inability to sleep seems to help. I also keep a flask of hot chocolate by my bed so that I have something soothing to drink.

Hey Dan,
    im the same, i probably on a whole survive on 2-3 hours a night, if im really lucky i could get 4! Like you at times it has a huge impact the lack of sleep with my everyday life. I have no quick fix solutions for you, as you probably already know most of them and they arent working (like me). My main problem is night time is when my mind goes into overdrive and i do all my thinking then, and its hard to switch off. However i find listening to my IPOD, or reading helps me drift off, its staying asleep i find difficult!
    Just wanted you to know you are definatley not alone with sleep issues.
    All the best, take care,

Debs x

Thanks, Hey Debs thats exactly like me.... I have no problem falling asleep well it probably takes 30-40mins from getting into bed, its staying asleep which is the problem just like you, tried lots of things without success it just gets me so down its a vicious circle now i dont sleep much at night so tired all day at work come home from work have no energy or motivation to do anything just think about going to bed so withdraw myself from others go to bed for 10 hrs and get about 3 hours broken sleep out of the 10 hours.......This is no way to live life

As i said i really dont want to take sleeping medication i went down that route once, they didnt help so i took more and still no joy so one night i took enough that would of probably knocked a horse out even mixed it with a few cans which is a no no, yet i still woke up but it was awful i was so so drowesy yet still no proper sleep.
    I sympathise with others who suffer with this its terrible its like mental torture like you fall asleep then someone nips you to wake you up again and then again and then again surely there is only so much you can take before you go insane......

HELP!

Desprately needing sleep Dan!!!!!!

Hi. I'm writing this at 7.26 am having had no sleep last night. I went to bed, but it just didn't happen, so I've been up all night. Usually I do manage 3-4 hours.
    There are some things to try:
    No alcohol or coffee after 6pm
    An evening walk
    No TV or computer within an hour of bed
    A warm bath
    Warm milky drink
    Relaxation tape or music
    Lavendar oil on your pillow

If you've done all these, try keeping a sleep log. Jot down your mood at bedtime and is you'd beeen stressed in the day. Then log the sleep you have. This helps to see if there are any patterns to the sleep loss and you can then start to tackle them. It's also useful to take to the doc to show him how bad you are.

How did you sleep last time you were on holiday? I find i sleep well then, so it really is that I have trained myself into bad sleep patterns at home. I don't work, so can always nap, but you need to address retraining yourself to sleep.

Thankyou Maddie, i am so sorry you didnt get any sleep last night makes me feel a bit guilty.
    I slept poor on holiday that wasn't helped by the fact i got food poisoning but strangely enough, i felt more awake even though i just had the same amount of sleep as usual.....This has me thinking its more of a depression thing??

I feel like a burden to the doctor because i am already seeing him about depression and anxiety i have mentioned my poor sleep to him, but i guess i havent banged the drum loud enough about it.

Thanks Maddie your always there to offer support.

Dan

Hi, I find the trick to getting to sleep is to think of nothing. Easier said than done but if you let your mind go blank, relax all your muscles you can be asleep within a minute or two.

I did read antidepressants tend to reduce REM sleep so you dream less and have a more peaceful night, so this may be of help to you I don't know. I know mine (amitryptiline) helps me sleep. I think it helps reduce all the random chatter in my head when I'm trying to rest although that might just be placebo. Whether drinking milk helps you sleep I don't know but believing that milk helps you sleep certainly does. Placebos can work wonders

Hi Dan
    My sleeping improved when I started on mirtazapine.
    I don't recommend ADs as asleep aid. I've heard Valarian is a good herbal remedy but it cant be taken with ADs.
    Hope your sleep improves. I agree Maddie on routines. Best of luck anyway
    Steve

I am not sure that anything is going to help me and i fear the worst, I feel really guilty today as last night i took sleeping medication..... i took 1 Nitrazepam and 1 diazepam, i am already taking 40mg Citalopram and 80mg propanolol which are prescribed to me for Anxiety and Depression and trembling, i drank a couple of cans of lager and within 40 mins i felt so tired so i went to bed and managed 5 hours sleep which is still not a lot but better than 2 - 3 hours what do i need to do to get a good nights rest or will i ever..... i just feel that eventually i will go insane..
    Has anyone tried hypnotherapy for sleep problems i am willing to try anything to help.

Dan

Good to hear you got some sleep.
    You might want to researce the mirtazapine if you are on
    meds already. The one thing I get now is regular good sleep.
    As your gp
    Hope you have a good day. The weather is great up here today.
    Cheers
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information