Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Onset of Psychosis?

Onset of Psychosis?

I was reading an account on my CMHT website by a woman who has suffered wth pychosis.It describes at the onset how she would visit galleries in London and feel lost and detached. I get severe DP/DR with my anxiety and now after reading this I'm seriously worried i'm in the early stages of psychosis.I don't know if i believe that saying "If you think you're going mad then you're not"Help!!!

Re: Onset of Psychosis?

This is the actual quote" I can remember feeling remote from everything and visiting various galleries and museums feeling lost and not understanding why. It was, in retrospect, the beginning of psychosis"

Oh my, I never have heard of that but I also suffer severe derealization and detachment with my anxiety as well. This makes me even more worried! I am afraid to google this or anything about psychosis . Does it say what else she experienced or does it only state the detachment she had in galleries?

You have an insight as to how you are feeling at the moment. That person you read about obviously didn't until she was very ill. I don't think you have anything to worry about other than anxiety. We are very suggestable when anxious and believe that everything we read and hear will happen to us next!!
    Myra

Please try not to worry about this as I am sure you are not getting psychotic.

I have had several eposides of psychosis and believe it or not, I didn't realise it at the time. As that woman quoted "It was, in retrospect, the beginning of psychosis" she also didn't know at the time, it was only after the event that she figured out when it started.

DP/DR is totally different and very common with anxiety.

Take care xx

Hiya, DP and DR are extremely common in anxiety and not in psychosis. I work with clients with severe mental illness of the kind that you are talking about and have never known one to present with DP or DR.

Thank you so much Starlight for easing my fears

And mine Starlight thank you

Thanks to everyone for the reassurance.

Does anyone know if you took LSD and it triggered psychosis e.t.c would it happen there and then and not like years in the future?

Thanks.

I do not have the answer to this, but I had a friend that had some sort of psychosis after doing LSD because he killed himself. I wasn't there but my other friend was and he kept saying he saw Niagra Falls and wanted to jump through the falls. They had no idea what he was saying and a minute later he jumped off the balcony of his condo in NY. It was a very terrifying experience for everyone involved but nobody else was affected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information