Thread: anxiety for a month now , time for CBT !!

anxiety for a month now , time for CBT !!

Saw my doctor today and he referd me to have CBT !! ive headr soo much about this and i really hope it works !!! ive been haveing anxitey attacts for a month now and i just want it to go away !! it does if i dont think about it !!!!

Re: anxiety for a month now , time for CBT !!

Will this be on the NHS then?

yes davey boy it is in the NHS ! Have u had it b4 ?

I might go see my doctor about getting cognitive behavioural therapy, sometimes you can't do it on your own and I wonder if the techniques I use to control anxiety are really helping me. But be warned, I've seen a few therapists and none of them helped me, one didn't listen and the other did not give me any kind of diagnosis. I figured I have social anxiety by myself-thanks alot, just like I do everything else by myself.

I'm on a waiting list now too, still a long time to go, maybe 8 months, thats not even good practice to start with because they of all people should know how vulnerable we are, we could even get worse waiting to be heard.

Anyway, I don't mean to be negative. You are right to be excited about this prospect, it's a successful method but will require dedication from you also to make it work. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by catherine.v View Post
    yes davey boy it is in the NHS ! Have u had it b4 ?
    I've had CBT privately, although to be honest whilst the guy said it was CBT, I don't think it was really. It was more traditional psychoanalysis in my opinion.

I am signed up for NHS CBT now. I have a lot of faith in the NHS, I think we are vey lucky to have such a fantastic service available for free. However, it can be slow, and so I am not holding my breath for when I'm going to receive treatment.
    Last edited by Davey Boy; 09-12-09 at 14:39.

yes davey boy we r lucky to have NHS ,, it can b very slow but i will just wait and see what happens !! however i havent had a attact 2day sofar i f i dont think about it i dont get the attacts !!!!! so i will just keep doing that !!!! how long you had it for ? if u dont mind me asking

Whilst I have always been a very anxious person, my GAD didn't start until 2002. I guess it's coming up to 8 years now

I would be lying though if I said it's been 8 years of hell. Whilst I have never managed to be very comfortable, or truely happy, I have had relatively good periods during that time. I have many good memories from times during the last 8 years.

I will recover, I just haven't found the right way yet. I am sure you will find a much quicker path than me

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
    one didn't listen and the other did not give me any kind of diagnosis. I
    It's awful that they didn't listen to you but I don't think therapists are able to give you a diagnosis. Only psychiatrists can diagnose because they're medical drs.

I found CBT can really help so I hope it helps you both.

Thread Information