Thread: did i say the right things to my friend?

did i say the right things to my friend?

hi...i have a friend i write too in the usa...we never met in person but we have become good friends over the past year. he is in prison for a murder he committed when he was a teenager. he suffers from bipolar disorder. during the past 8 months we had a normal penpal friendship and he would answer to my letters very quickly always telling me he was happy to hear from me and so on. i recived another letter in august, long and very nice where he told me how he is happy we have become friends and that he would like for us to stay in contact for a long time...till here all well. but after that letter i didnt hear from for 3 months. a few days ago i recived his letter. he sayed sorry for having not written. that he has been poorly. sick with his mind. he sayed he feels horrible for not writing and asks me to forgive him. i wrote back to him and told him that he has nothing to be forgiven, that i am his friend in good and bad times, that i care about him and love him so much. i need you guys please to give me an HONEST opinion on the things i told him. it is eating me inside the fear of having saied too much, but i need a honest opinion please. i also need advice and your opinion on bipolar, regarding him. he is 23 now.
    well i told him that whatever his problems he can talk about it with me, that we ll get through it together. i told him to dont be scare of taking me down with you, that im not scared (im afraid that sentence sounds bad) i also told him that there is no real reason to life apart from the people we love and the little things we enjoy doing. that i know sometimes it is about chemistry and not philosopy though, and that in this case he has to try and be strong for his sister like i am for my brother, his friends like i am for mine, and for me like i try to be for him. i also told him i suffered with depression all my life. is it wrong to tell him to be strong for me and his sister and friends? im so afraid he will stop writing to me again.
    thanks for listening and for any opinion or advice

well i understand wh people have read my message and not replied....it's a messed up story and my questions have no answer. life is all a big mess.
    thanks god for the prozac im taking.
    thank you all anyway.

Aww Robertina,

Sorry there were no answers forthcoming - it maybe not everyone has seen this post yet, you may need to give it a couple more days.

I don't really know how to answer it as I've never been in this position.

I do wish you well mate and if there is anything else you want to post about hopefully I maybe able to help more with that.

Take care.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

I think maybe there aren't many replies as i find your question kind of confusing.. from your post i can't see anything wrong with what you said to him and im confused as to why you would think there is.
    Sometimes telling a person to be strong for another person is all they need to here in order to motivate themselves and realise that there are people who love them. Also i don't know anything about bipolar so i can't help you with advice there.
    Sorry if this doesn't actually help you but i hope it does.

I think what you said was fine Robertina.

He may just need something and someone to believe in him as well as trying to find something in himself to believe in too. It sounds like hes bene inside for a long time and whilst he was growing up too so hes probably extremely confused about all number of things

Its not wrong to show some kindness to another human being.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

thank you so much for your answeres...i always worry and analyze things alot, i guess thats why ive been thinking over and over again about the things i said, if they were right or wrong. im aftraid of sayng the wrong thing and dont be of any help i guess. or that he'd think it's silly to want to be strong for other people...i guess im confused as much as he is about life and about things but i do want to take some of his pain away because yes he is been inside a very long time and he has been a very unlucky person.
    thank you guys for your support, i feel a little better.
    i dont know what i would do without you guys in this website, you are always there for me and saved my life so many times.
    thank you so much.

Thread Information