Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Numb Left Hand

Numb Left Hand

I know there are a few posts about this but has anyone ever found a reason or explanation for it.

I am waking a lot early in the morning with my left hand completely numb and sometimes pins and needles. I clench it and comes back to life then it happens again 10 minutes later.

I am not sleeping on it cos I sleep on my right hand side and it evens happens when I sleep on my back.

Could I have a trapped nerve somewhere?

This week I have not been so well and I am also experiencing my hand going into spasms so the fingers extend or cramp up and I think this may be stress but I have had it going numb in bed for many months so that is something else.

I sat watching a DVD tonight and it was feeling weak so I kept gripping things to see that I could and I did that ok but it feels kind of strange.

I haven't found a good explanation for it yet so should I see doctor?

Is it dangerous that the blood supply may be cut off?

Nicola

Hey there-

You know... I get the same thing. I spoke to my doctor about it... the first thing he asked was if I am on the computer a lot... and I said yes... apparently, slight carpul tunnel syndrom sometimes kicks in at odd times... im not sure if you know about CTS, but it is pretty much harmless. Also, it could just be that while you are sleeping, for whatever reason, the blood isnt cirulating as well as it usually does... which is not big deal... b/c it goes back to normal after moving it.

I also know that a feeling of weak hands is CLASSIC anxiety. I am always making my husband feel my grip to make sure its not too weak.

Hi Nic,

I used to get it a bit in my left arm but not so much the hand. Very occassional mild stuff but not like you describe as a total numbness of the hand.

I had numbness in the left side of my face.

Did you mention it to the GP?

Likely that it is anxiety related though given history and that it is a known anxiety symptom.

Cheers,
    Trev x

It sounds to me like it may be carpul tunel syndrome too to me too.

I got it when I was pregnant and so I can understand just how painful and irritating it can be. You could ask your DR to refer you to a speciallist for physio.

Hope you are feeling better soon

Take Care

Chucklehound

xxxx

Hi Nic

It could be carpal tunnel syndrome or it could be repetitive strain injury if you use your PC a lot.
    Maybe worth asking your GP, or as Trev says classic anxiety.
    Hope this post finds you feeling better.
    You have had a lot to deal with this week which hasn't helped you in the slightest, so hope you manage to chill out today.

Take care

Elaine x

Hi Nic, I guess a lot of it is stress, you will spend so long tensed up too.
    I know when I had carpel tunnell my hand used to freeze into positions and be unable to move, I once was putting the phone down and it was stuck in my hand.
    If the blood supply was cut off it would be blue and cold.
    If you remember a few weeks ago I had that funny pain in my shoulder which numbed my hand and luckily it went as quick as it came, hope yours does too mate, catch you later.

love from Alexisxx

If I help one person today it was worth getting up.

Can't answer this directly but do remember at school if we had all been laughing too much I could never hold my pen properly and my hand was too weak to write (excitement is an emotion not disimilar to anxiety in some of its manifestations).

I also get a numb arm and pins and needles in my sleep quite often but this is definately cos I have fallen asleep on the offending arm. It is horrible and I end up swinging the limp arm around in the dark like a monkey waiting for it to get back to normal.

The other thing I have at the mo is problems with my wrist, which since I fell down the stairs 6 months ago has played me up, which the doc thinks could be a damaged tendon and if it continues to play up he will investigate further as the x-ray didn't show any damage.

Did you tell the doctor about this when you were there on Fri. You havent got a bad neck or shoulder have you, as I did have a friend once who did and this produced similiar symptoms to you.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

i have had the same thing for 3 weeks now iam trying not to let it bother me though. i had a bad neck just before it started so iam wondering if that has anything to do with it . mazzxxx

everybody has to hurt sometime........

Hi there
    Our necks are quite often the culprit when it comes to pins and needles in fingers and hands, have you tried changing your pillow,it may be the way you are lying at night that is the problem.. do you also have backache?
    It could be the already mentioned CTS but that tends to focus more on wrist and you have a strange sensation of your thumb being drawn into palm of hand, this is due to ? compression of the ulna nerve it can also go up arm to elbow, RSI is also another possible explanaition. It does not sound like it is anything serious that you should worry about (easier said than done i know as im an expert at worrying) Hope this helps

I just want my life back
    nell
    x

Thanks for all the comments I appreciate it.

I didn't mention it to the doctor cos I felt like a hypochondriac as it was with the list of problems I have[}]:(

I don't know if I have neck or back problems - never really looked into that so I could get a massage or something for that.

I think my pilllows are ok because I recently bought new ones and we have a new bed as well so it is supporting my back ok.

It is just one of those niggling problems that I wish would go away and hopefully it will. It keeps waking me up so I hope it goes away soon.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Nicola

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information