Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Presentation nerves!

Presentation nerves!

Hi guys
    On tuesday i have to do a presentation in front of the class im getting really nervous already and i cant sleep because im thinking about it. anyone else had this and knows of ways to calm down a bit?
    Thank you

Re: Presentation nerves!

Hi Emily,

I used to hate doing presentations and struggled with my nerves and anxiety anytime I needed to give one, now I am ok because I decided that it did not matter how I did as long as I did my best, I know it sounds like a bit of a cliche but it helps me. Sort of brings the emphasis not so much on what people think about me but to how much effort I have put in. Once the emphasis is on me I can sort of control it. Really wish you the best of luck with your presentation and one tip I read but haven't tried is to imagine your audience as little babies!! Don't know if it works but sounds crazy enough that it just might.

Take care and Good luck

Jim

Also have you tried rescue remedy? It worked for my nerves during my driving test, I got some from a pharmacy and they also sell it here in the online store, migh be worth a shot getting some? Don't know if it works for everyone but my friends also swear by it.

Please tell me if you figure it out! I've managed to avoid presentations my whole life but have one in Jan for uni. I'm considering dropping out (which would be really stupid as I'm halfway through my final year!), and have paid hundreds for hypnotherapy which as far as I can tell hasn't worked! I've also started taking medication for anxiety, have not felt any effect of that yet!

Good luck with your presentation! xx

Thank you guys, the gp has give me some tablets called diazepam which are ment to calm me down...can i take rescue remedy with it?

Julie- aww no! im actually considering dropping out too because i picked the course which is full of presentations, but im still in first year! but i'll let you know how i get on

I've always been nervous of presentations, and fortunately haven't had to give that many.

Obviously the more prepared you are, the better it will go.

If you feel it really is too much, maybe have a word with your tutor and explain that you are on medication for it. I'm sure they would be able to suggest something such as having a dry run with just the tutor.

One other thing - check out last week's "The restaurant" programme which was on BBC2 on Thursday (it will be available on iPlayer at least until this Thursday). At the end of the programme all of the chefs had to give a presentation to over 100 people. One of them was really really nervous about it. He had given up, but after a few words of comfort gave what I thought was the best presentation.

Bonne chance!

Hi

A couple of weeks ago I had to talk in front of 400 people and there are few methods I always keep in mind.

Never look at any one individual straight in the face, it always put you off. Look at the back of the hall or the perimeter of the areas

Also, don't memorise. Just do headings and know your subject.

Do not rush, take natural pauses This gives the speaker time to think and the audience time to take in what has just been said.

Look at some footage of politicians on you tube and see how slow and deliberate they are. They never rush.

It will be fine

Thanks, I tried talking to my tutor in my first year and I basically got laughed at then he brought it up infront of the rest of my class as if it were a joke :S

Hi! Im in my second year of uni, and am terrified of presentations. I always shake like a leaf as soon as I start speaking! Things that help me are to do my presentation first, or as soon as possible, otherwise I sit listening to others and get worked up. I also take propanonolol from drs, which really helps! Try not to drop out, just think how proud youll be when youve learnt how to do it with no nerves! Good Luck!!!!

Hi guys!
    Just to let you know i survived!!, i had to go last though, god i thought i was going to be sick! but atleast its over. I tried looking out the window it helped a bit, i found i wasnt nervous until i was sat in the room waiting, so thats an improvement cz im normally getting nervous about it a few days before!
    Julie- wow, you got unlucky with your lecturers :( i think they forget we're paying their wage so they should help us!

Anyway guys thanx alot for your support!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information