Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Presentation nerves!

Re: Presentation nerves!

Hi really glad it went ok! Not sure if you can take rescue remedy with diazipam I have always used one or the other, but don't think it matters now you have got the presentation out the way I guess! Well done

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by -Emily View Post
    Hi guys!
    Just to let you know i survived!!, i had to go last though, god i thought i was going to be sick! but atleast its over. I tried looking out the window it helped a bit, i found i wasnt nervous until i was sat in the room waiting, so thats an improvement cz im normally getting nervous about it a few days before!
    Julie- wow, you got unlucky with your lecturers :( i think they forget we're paying their wage so they should help us!

Anyway guys thanx alot for your support!
    Well done! Shame you had to go last, that always makes me more nervous.

Hi there,

I suffered really badly with nerves, just the thought of presentations made me badly! I eventually did one, I started off nervously but after a minute I got into the zone and in the end I couldn't shut up. I have done a few since and each time I grow with confidence! the main thing that has got me thru it tis to be well prepared beforehand, do some rough notes and headings so that you can stick to the point and don't get lost, switch off to thinking about delivering your presentation and how it will be perceived whilst doing the presentation as this just creates nerves, if you are well pepared, script it out for the first time round, it might not sound natural but as you grow with confidence you can talk more freely without referring to the notes all the time. When I did my first one I was over the moon, it was the best feeling as I dreaded the moment for a long time. Before I gave my first presentation I did one in front of 4-5people, each time I did it and got more comfortable, the bigger the audience I could take on, I now can talk well in front of 12 -15 people, I still get anxiety but I see this or these feelings as an indication that I want to do well.

Believe me get the first one out of the way, it gets much easier after then.

Good Luck

LK

Well done Emily! So glad it went well for you!

I know its one of those things that the thought of it worse than it actually is, just wanna get it out of the way, wish me luck! xx

Hi

In my job i have to do presentations almost weekly and felt exactly as you do when i started
    First thing you need to know is in a survey when people were asked what do you fear most, public speaking came above death..so it is natural to feel the way you do..
    I have done several public speaking courses and the things that helped me are

1. know your subject well (really research and practice what you will be talking about)
    2. Practice, practice, practice (do it over and over until you can do it on autopilot)
    3. Just before you get up to speak take 2 deep slow breaths and push your sholders down (relax them)
    4. Your audience will NOT judge you as its the think they ALL fear doing
    5. Your audience will not see how bad you feel... as most of it is on the inside
    6 if you can video yourself you will be surprised how well you come across even when you are feeling nervous

Good luck and stick at it... its a great feeling when you master it ... and you will in time

Thanks, I've had a lot of this advice before and it all makes sense but how do you get over the dizzyness, stuttering, inability to make a coherent sentence? This happens to me when I have to talk infront of a group of people, presentation or not....

Hi there,

Confidence and being self assured. When I went through a bad stage with my nerves I used to react like you do, when I took time out to recover I had to adopt a new out look on life as I felt I judged every situation as negative, the main thought was that I wouldn't be liked or accepted by people socially, so before trying I would give up on a situation without having an open mind about things. It took time to take a positive outlook on life and be moe self accepting, but the only way i could get better was to challenge my fears and conquer them, if I had a bad experience I would take the +ve's out and not dwell on the bad things that had happened. It took me a while but eventually things just clicked into place and I felt better, I take citalopram to aid with my recovery and had cbt which was really good, but the main battle can only be done by yourself. Be strong and keep positive, look forwards not backwards.

Take Care

LK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information