Thread: How Accurate Are ECG's?

Exclamation How Accurate Are ECG's?

Im due to have mine tomorrow morning after nrly 4 weeks of palps/hard, heavy heartbeat/chest pains/ shortness of breath....Im just wondering if there is something serious going on, the ecg would def pick up on it, right?

Re: How Accurate Are ECG's?

as far as i am aware if there was a problem an ecg would pick it up or there wouldnt be any point doing them. I had 4 ecgs all ok and im still here so it must of been accurate

ECG's are very accurate as long as the electrodes are placed correctly & there is no interference whilst its taking the tracing, such as movement!

Dont panic xx

Hi

They are accurate, that's why they do them.

Anyway, if your GP had really been concerned your ECG would not have been left for 4 weeks you would have been sent straight to hospital. Sounds as though it is more to ease your anxiety over this.

These are my symptoms:

Shortness of breath/chest discomfort/tightness
    Pains in chest, Pretty much all over the chest over the course of the few weeks...from aches and twinges to sharp stab-like pains to almost burning sensations.
    Wheezy chest..Particulary bad when I experience the shortness of breath/chest tightness.
    HARD, Heavy heartbeat - Seems to be worse at night..Dont know if it has something to do with laying down..Can make me breathless at times..VERY scary.
    Palps or the feeling tht my heart is beating in an irregular fashion/flutters etc

I have an 18 month history of anxiety/health anxiety and a three plus year history of issues with depression. Recently its got out of hand and the symptoms, as you can probably see from the above are much more alarming and visceral. Im rly, rly worried I have heart disease (Cardiomyopathy)...Two GPs listened to my heart at the beginning of the month and said it sounded fine...I hope the ECG is normal and I can get over this by accepting that its anxiety. I have an appointment with another doctor on wednesday to further talk about my symptoms and the anxiety...Im hoping for some meds in the short term, to bring down these overwhelming levels of anxiety, while I wait for more tests.

They are an important part of a pre-theatre assessment and the anaesthetist will view them, so therefore I do think they are accurate.
    Myra

Thread Information