Thread: Is this what started it ?

Is this what started it ?

Hey all, Okay i seriously need to get this off my chest.. when i was 16, i was sitting near my local mall smoking the good ol' green stuff.. i went into boots and i fainted.. i just remember paying for my stuff, walking away from the till.. then coming over tired, seeing the lights in the ceiling, and smaking my head on the chewing gum counter and falling asleep.. i woke up to my best mates blonde hair in my face shouting at me.. i didnt think much of it when i woke up.. i was fine..good ol' mummy picked me up, and i went home to sleep.. the second time i had just had a joint and i was wearing my new white winter coat, and i was in tesco's with my boyfriend.. i suddenly started to feel hot, i told my bf i was hot, and he said ''yeah just a minute'' so i tried everything i could to forget the feelings. And i started walking to get air on my face.. then i got the sensation i couldnt breathe.. without him, i started walking to the door, as i got near the tills, he grabbed me and i went deaf.. i grabbed his arm as hard as i could, and then i went blind.. i came round to him calling my name.. and being helped my him and a assistant to the car.. we went and had another joint to calm us both down..
    Now.. this is destroying me.. at this point i never suffered with panic attacks, and i think this might be the cause.. i think this is where my anxiety started from.. i dont worry about it, i obsess about it, everytime i stand up, everytime i wake up..its the first thing i think about.. i think have i eaten enough? have i had enough sugar.. if i step outside will it happen? As i mentioned.. i was 16, i am now 20, i have had anxiety ever since the tesco incident.. and i haven't stepped foot in a supermarket since.. i am petrified of them.. its taking over my life.. I'm now coming off Flouxetine.. and haven't been feeling too sharp.. but this is just enhancing my fear..has anyone over come this? Can anyone help me? Please... im not proud to say im desperate... but i could really do with the advise.
    Thanks all

x x
    x

Re: Is this what started it ?

Hi Miss

Firstly, i'm not judging you but i hope you're not smoking the old wacky backy anymore because i would say that is EXACTLY what started this! It's not the supermarket you have to be afraid of hun, it's what the drug did to you in the supermarket. Twice you mentioned somking that stuff and having an adverse reaction so i would say it's obviously what triggered your anxiety.

Any type of drug, may it be alcohol, joints or anything else, ALL effect anxiety levels.

Lisa
    xx

Hey Lisa.. thanks for your reply.. No thankfully i stopped straight after the episode at tesco's. I haven't touched the stuff, and i can't stand the smell of it.. Any ideas on how to overcome this? I really wanna carry on with my life and get on with it, but its so hard when i still have the fear of passing out again wherever i go. =[ xx

Ok.....was this the last time you passed out hun? xx

Yes it was =] In Tesco when i was 16. Not done it since xx

Ah there you go then. That's answered your question hun.
    I smoked that stuff once in a works van when i was getting a lift home one day. I got out the van, got into the house, sat on the couch and the next thing i knew it was pitch dark outside and five hours later! I just blanked out. That was the first and last time i really smoked it because i got the fright of my life when i woke up hours later and had no idea what had happened.

You should try to introduce yourself back to the supermarket very gradually. When you realise that nothing bad is going to happen to you can maybe build it up and gradually make things easier.

It's not a medical problem but what you put into your body at the time hun

Lisa
    xxx

I know, but im scared of every single building i ever have to walk in, as i associate it with that episode.. Fainting was the one thing that scared me, i would rather have a constant panic attack then having to deal with that again. I just hope i can deal with it, and get over it.. Its weird, cos i dont think i have panic attacks.. i think i just have the symptoms.. maybe my body thinks that thats whats going to happen.. it all kinda makes sense :S xx

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I had the exact same experience with a joint....I smoked one when I was about 17 years old, went to a concert and passed out at the concert. Later I found out that the joint was laced with some other drug that wasn't supposed to be in there. So don't be afraid of the supermarket! Don't wake up every day worrying about whether you've had enough to eat or drink. That's not what caused the problem. The problem was the drug. If I were you, I'd be afraid of the joint! You're fearing the wrong thing!

Sweet it is a phobia you have caused by past events!
    You could ask your GP for CBT because this can change the way you see situations, cope with situations. It kind of teaches a new way of thinking and to rationalize with your phobia.
    xxxxxx

Thread Information