Thread: Seroquel

Seroquel

Hi all,

I have just been prescribed seroquel as last Friday i was really bad and was told i would have to be admitted to hospital but did not want to go in i was hysterical phychiatrist upped my sertraline dosage and even put me on 200mg of seroquel for the night. I have read so many bad things about seroqutel especially the weight gain i have a huge fear of putting on weight and i have always ate healthly and exercised but have not since i have been so bad. I spoke to her this morning and told her and she said you have to look at the benefits and said to eat healthy and not have too much sugar or salt im confused as some people say its the night munchies you get which puts on the weight others say that they eat healthy and exercise more and still put on lots of weight. Has anyone been on this medication and how have they been on it?
    Sarah

Re: Seroquel

Hi Sesa,

To be honest, when it comes to psychiatric drugs, it's not the weight gain I'm most worried about.
    I've been on Seroquel for a few months, I got it also for nighttime, though I think your dose is huge, I only took 50 mg and I had extreme insomnia at that time (means no sleep or only 2-3-4 hrs per night FOR MORE THAN A YEAR).
    I didn't gain any weight and it actually did help my sleep problem but still, I decided to come off as soon as possible, so only took it for a few months and most of it was withdrawal.
    Be very cautious with taking these pills unless you really-really need it. I don't know your situation though, and how severe your insomnia is or for how long you suffer from it. But I do know that for some reason doctors gave away these drugs like they were candies....

If your suffering is still bearable, I would try anything possible to be able to sleep in natural way, there are endless things available not involving psychiatric drugs, natural remedies, tees, massage, relaxation exercises, CDs, hypnotherapy, kinesiology, joga, thai-chi, Reiki, acupuncture and so on, and so on. These are all powerful teqniques and they DO help.
    Drugs always should be considered as the last option.

I hope you can make a good decision and will feel better soon, all the best,

Zsofi

Hi Sesa again,

I was just reading through your posts about suicidal thoughts in the other thread, oh you poor thing, your anxiety is really over the roof now.
    I leave in my previous post as it might be some info for others but in that case I would say, if you think the meds can help to deal with your current situation then take them, but try to speak to your doc about the dose. I still think it is too much, maybe you could start with a lower dosage and get more if it is not enough.

I really cross my fingers for you, let us know how you are coping, and if I can help you with anything in regards to nighttime help, just let me know, I have some experience....

Zsofi

Thanks for your reply my partner is going to ring up the phychiatrist tomorrow to see what they say. Ill let you know how i get on xxxx

Hi Sesa,

I am looking forward to know what they say!

hi ,, ive been on seroquel for about six mths,, for bi-poler , panic and anxiety and agrophobia,, ive had all the same worries,, i take a 1oomg thoughout the day, and sometimes i could raid the fridge but i try to choose a healthy option, i have put a cupole of pounds on, i am on a low does so maybe thats why ive not put on to much weight, but i can soon lose it again,, i think u just have to be carefull,, i take seroquel with prozac, diazipam and it has woked wonders for me, and i try not to google it or look in to side effects as it dont always help .

diaizpam 5mg, as needed.

come on panic attack do your worse,, you can knock me down,, BUT I WILL GET BACK UP AGAIN.

I also have bipolar and have been taking Seroquel (along with other medication) for a few years now. I recently had my dose upped from 600mg to 800mg per day.

I can honestly say that I haven't had any real adverse side effects, and the few I did get didn't last long. For me it has litteraly been a godsend and the weight gain hasn't been a real issue. In fact I am more active and motivated now, as I feel better.

If you do feel it increases you appetite, make sure you have healthy snaks handy, like carrot sticks and fruit.

Good luck and I hope this medication works as well for you as I has for me

Thread Information