Thread: new to escitalopram

new to escitalopram

hi

have been prescribed escitalopram today 5mg,and have a big phobia of meds,and the side effects.
    after taking the tabs i get really bad panics,but no deep down that i really do need to take them vicious circle.

has anyone had any good results while taking them,need a bit of a kick up the bum.

the only other meds iv taken are nardil,and am a bit scared.

would love any advice

love sky xx

Re: new to escitalopram

Its a god send as far as I'm concerned. I'm on them coming up to 6 years now and I couldn't have coped without them. Give them a few weeks before the kick in. Once they do, you'll be fine. I'm on the other end with them now and trying to come off them which is hard, but I don't regret for one minute going on to them. Good luck and let me know if you would like to chat/ask any questions!

Me too was prescribed 5mg to start, last friday, following being too drowsy on Mirtazepine.
    Haven't started them yet, just want to get through Xmas first,
    Good luck, let us know if you've started yet

Lexapro is fantastic!!!
    It IS like a godsend. It has almost completly taken away my obsessive complsions and I rarely have panic attacks anymore.

The side effects will probably come, but they will go away!! The benefits of lexapro definatly outweigh the side effects. If you find the side effects too much starting off on 5mg, (which is usually what people start on, but i am very sensitive to lexapro and had to be started on 2mg) speak to your doctor about slowly starting on lexapro liquid solution.

Be excited for the benefits of lexapro, rather than worrying about the side effects. I know its hard, but give it a go
    xx

FEAR is an acronym for False Evidence Appearing Real.

I wish you the best and i really hope the meds work for you.
    I am in the same situation, i have a big phobia for medication esp. ssri.
    My GP gave me Cipralex too some months ago but i havnt taken them yet.

Let us know how you are doing.

Hi I'm new to the forum and was looking for some advice. My GP has switched me from Citalopram 20mg which I've been taking for 6 years, to Cipralex 20mg. Does anyone know whether it will start to become effective more quickly as I've switched directly from one to the other? My GP has switched me to Cipralex as I'm having more severe anxiety and panicky feelings, and also am having difficulty sleeping which in turn is making my anxiety worse. Anyone with any advice, please post!

Quote Originally Posted by tem2380 View Post
    Hi I'm new to the forum and was looking for some advice. My GP has switched me from Citalopram 20mg which I've been taking for 6 years, to Cipralex 20mg. Does anyone know whether it will start to become effective more quickly as I've switched directly from one to the other? My GP has switched me to Cipralex as I'm having more severe anxiety and panicky feelings, and also am having difficulty sleeping which in turn is making my anxiety worse. Anyone with any advice, please post!
    I am not sure if it will become more effective quickly as you've switched, thats probably a question for your doctor. You may experience some side effects tho to start off with, especially as 20mg is the highest dose of cipralex (people usually start on 5, i started on 2!! lol).. So perhaps ask your GP. Sorry I can't be of more help, except that Cipralex is fantastic, has worked a lot better for me than Citalopram!! Take care.. x

FEAR is an acronym for False Evidence Appearing Real.

How is it going Skyblue?

hi all

hope you all had a good christmas and wishing you a happy new year,
    thanks for all your good advise and it has actually helped my decision,they seem to have helped so many of you that its put my mind at rest regarding the side effects,and im feeling a lot better now,to when i was prescribed them,so might just see how i go.

have been having cbt on a 1 to 1 basis and am trying to put into practice some of the stratiges,bought a note book and im writing things down,to get them out of my head,and looking at it sometimes helps to make more sense of it,a good one is when you get a thought,feeling,try and deal with it in some way,no matter how hard or painful,(i know this is easier said than done) as worry just fills the gap between the worry and the answer,and drives us mad!!!!!!

but have tabs as back up,please keep in touch would love to know how you are all doing..

good thoughts to you all

love skyxx

Thread Information