Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really Confused about CBT

Really Confused about CBT

I went yesterday to one of the Doctors who takes care of Cbt offered throught the Hospital. I have her book and have seen her a couple of times.
    I told her i was geting to be able to control my on-set of panic
    to an extend where I am not shaking terribly and i am breathing it out.
    She has told me, with distraction and breathing i am advoiding them and need to face them. Great! I am alarmed because i really panic when i get a sharp pain in my chest even a jdull pain. I have had some pain in my arm today and I think of just facing it and now i think - What if it is real? What if i don't react and need to see a doctor.
    She also thinks that, which one of my fears is leaving my children behind and how will they survive.
    I know that it if i want to get better, i have to do this and face my fears, but how does one every get over this part.
    Hoping someone can offer some advise,PLEASE!

Trina

Trina

Hi Trina

I'm sorry you are feeling bad just when you thought you had found help. CBT will make you think about yourself and it is one of the best methods - plus self help - to get you through this, as bad as it feels at the moment. Keep going!

Have a look at 'Radars' post on General Anxiety / Adrenalin Associations. She talks about facing your fears - it might help.

Good luck!

Red

Hiya Trina

Thats one of my fears too.. what if I put something down as a symptom of panic when its really something else. The only way ive found I can deal with this and ignore it is to do my usual relaxation/stretches etc and leave it a few days, 10 times out of 10 its dissapeared so i guess it is panic.

love Sarah
    xx

Hi Trina ,

Distraction and breathing are invaluable to get you through acute attacks and difficult anxiety periods but do not address the causes.. CBT will but it's a medium term thing and until you've learnt the techniques, it isn't a great deal of help whereas distraction is fab everytime.

She should be able to teach you a routine to question your panic reaction to say your chest pain, that you go into immediately on getting any worrying symptom which will stop the panic initiating itself.

Are you going to work with her ?

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

What is cbt?????????

Jade

jade,

its COGNITIVE BEHAVIOUR THERAPY...depending on your individual problem,you see a therapist on a one2one,basis at regular intervals..he/she will teach you how to overcome negative thoughts/actions,and replace them with positives...but a lot of the hard work,has to be done by yourself,as the therapist gives you exercises to carry out in between your meetings...CBT can show a great improvement over a period of months..but its like everything,you only get out,as much as you are willing to put in...hope this helps you understand...bryan.

Meg,
    At this time, I would say not. I am going to continue looking for what works for me.

Thanks for your advise

Trina

Hi Trina,

So much depends on how you relate to someone and how you feel about them in close communication.

Luckily there are lots of qualified people about and most do a free meet up just to explore whther there is a good fit .

Good luck in your search .

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Pink

Is your email address correct cos I am getting loads of returned emails. Can u check please.

Nicola

My personal view is that sometimes these doctors can really throw you off balance. I once saw a psychiatrist who asked me what colour my childhood was! This was such a loaded question, I didn't dare answer! I then saw a clinical psychologist who told me to push a bike everywhere I walked for company!! You try getting a bike in Safeway! The best advice I ever had, came from my psychiatric nurse. A lovley man, who had actually experienced panic and anxiety. He told me his own experiences, and assured me that I could overcome it whatever the cause, and I did. And this time I will again.
    Yes, you must be positive, but I think you should go with what makes you feel most at ease. I have lots of coping strategies which would probably be classed as "not facing", but they work for me!
    Good Luck!
    Christine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information