Thread: How can you tell if it's working?

How can you tell if it's working?

Hi, I've been taking citalopram for just over 2 weeks now, while I know its too early for it to be working I was just wondering how people know its working?

I've read a lot on here about people feeling 'back to their old selves' but I've been like this my whole life so I don't know how I'm supposed to feel...

Would be nice if people posted about their experience with how citalopram worked for them!

Re: How can you tell if it's working?

i believe it's working gradually, not as you wake up one day and feel cured.
    i'm in my 3rd week, nearly 4th and i can a;ready feel a slight positive change in my mood. i'm not extatic or anything like that but I feel much more stable and calm.
    also 'chatterbox' in my brain seems more 'quiet' and under control so I guess it's just like that - little by little

I've heard a few people say that they don't really know what it does for them...and I have to say, I think that's the whole point - it's very subtle, insofar as you simply stop thinking about your anxiety 24/7 when it's working.

I've been on it for over 3 months, and I don't actually think about anxiety 99.9% of the time now.
    I haven't had a personality transplant or anything - I just feel "normal".

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

I think it should show in your actions. You may start going out more, perhaps become more sociable, feel more confident etc. But others may notice the change in you a lot more. They may comment on how you've changed, that you look better, more active and energetic.

But you shouldn't rely on the medication to "cure" you. If you've had a lifetime of feeling the way you do then it's going to also take some effort from yourself through other therapies and self-help.

Medication though is a step in the right direction and I hope it works for you.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by Melancholia77 View Post
    I think it should show in your actions. You may start going out more, perhaps become more sociable, feel more confident etc. But others may notice the change in you a lot more. They may comment on how you've changed, that you look better, more active and energetic.

But you shouldn't rely on the medication to "cure" you. If you've had a lifetime of feeling the way you do then it's going to also take some effort from yourself through other therapies and self-help.

Medication though is a step in the right direction and I hope it works for you.
    Couldn't agree more. While I was waiting for the citalopram to work, I read a few excellent self-help books, got hold of some hypnotherapy cd's and really worked on what my personal problems are.

Think of medication as the plaster that stems the blood flow, while you get on with healing the wound.

Thanks for your feedback guys, guess I should start asking people if I seem different?

Since writing that I have noticed that I've stopped wallowing in my depression and find it easier to pretend to be happy. But my lack of motivation has gotten worse and it makes me feel numb so I don't care enough to motivate myself.

But I agree that it is up to me to change and the medication will help me be able to do that. I've also had hypnotherapy in the last few weeks and I'm starting CBT in January.

Thread Information