Thread: Med Increase, Terrified

Med Increase, Terrified

I've been on 10mg of Citalopram now for almost 3 weeks,doctor gave me 20mg tabs.I took 20mg for first 2 days and had huge panic attacks,so decided to half my tabs.
    Felt a panic attack coming on this morning in bed,i got up and it turned into a massive attack,i was running around looking for clothes to put on to get out of the house(dont know why)Hubby asked what was wrong,i said nothing,i was ok(thought telling him would make my panic worse)
    Anyway,its gone now,but thinking i will need to increase my dosage,but scared of any more side effects(increased panic mostly)
    Just a bit of a rant.sorry,but makes me feel slightly better writing it down.
    Any advice welcome.

Betty xx

I had the same problem with citalopram and for me I just couldnt tolerate the side-effects - like you I had horrendous panic attacks which I hadnt even had prior to taking the meds. I lasted ten days all in all on them so you must have the constitution of an ox lasting 3 weeks! My CPN said something to me about a 'therapeutic level' - which means that sometimes when the dose is increased and it reaches this level in the brain everything sort of calms down and the medication begins to work effectively - but it has to reach this level for it to work...or something like that! I'm no medical expert! You should think about whether you are prepared to tolerate the side effects for a little longer to see if they do kick in soon or not. You could always try other medication or alternative therapies if you feel you can't tolerate the side effects. x

*I think, therefore I am.*

Maybe they are increasing it too suddenly.

I was told a couple of weeks ago by a psychiatrist that they should wean you on to meds as slowly as they wean you off and not just give you the highest dose straight away.

Perhaps you need to stay on 10mg for longer than 3 weeks.

Just an idea anyway.

Nicola

Thread Information