Thread: Swollen thyroid

Swollen thyroid

Has anyone had thyroid problems before?

I've just seen the out of hours doctor about a fluttering I've been having in my throat for 2 weeks and she said my thyroid looks and feels swollen.

What does this mean? Is it serious? She said I have to see my GP as soon as I can to be sent for tests.

I'm so worried? Will this fluttering go away?

Re: Swollen thyroid

hi there, sorry i cant b of any help to u, but i going to bump u up the forum and hope someone else can. hugs xxx

Hey, I have had a swollen thyroid for the past few months and have had tests done which show elevated antibodies there. This probably means I am going to get an underactive thyroid. I wouldn't worry too much about this..thyroid problems are treatable and its just a case of finding out what exactly is going on. You'll be fine :-) pm me if you want to chat more, xxx

Smile Re: Swollen thyroid

I have had 2 parathyroid glands removed,and also have nodules on my thyroid.Symptoms are anxiety,tiredness and general aches and pains.So visit your Doc,for ultrasound tests and bloods,that will determine if you have Hypertyhroidism.Don't worry all will be ok take care

i was diagnosed with over active thyroid a few months ago - i used to get a horrible feeling in my throat/chest and terrible phsycial symptoms - like those of a breakdown - my gp could not believe how well i had coped but i thought it was a return of anxiety so i just accepted it all! treatment is more tricky with an over active thyroid - you have to be on meds for a year or more and now mine has swung under. when you come off meds - it sometimes comes back so then surgery/radioactive iodine is the next option. sometimes it is only a temporary thing if due to a virus/inflammation. i cried when i got my diagnosis but there are far worse illnesses so try not to worry - thyroid conditions are common and treatable.

Thanks for your replies.

It is driving me mad today but I see my GP in under an hour so I hope he helps me.

The fluttering has got much stronger, its making me cough and if I take a normal breath it makes it flutter more so I'm breathing shallow.

I'm so worried. I just want it to go away. It feels like a hollow rush of air coming up my throat like a quiver or vibration. I also have a horrible feeling in my stomach like a hard knot of adrenalin if that makes sense.

I'd give anything to be back to normal.

My Mum has had oroblems with her thyroid for 30years .Its kept stable by medication and doesnt cause her any probs ..She gets it checked every six months as the medication has to be adjusted according to the levels ...Im sure you will be sorted out and will ok .Let us know how the DRS went luv Sue x

Thread Information