Thread: Tooth infection

Tooth infection

Hey, ive recently had a tooth infection in one of my wisdom teeth and i have had two courses of antibiotics, just finished the second course about a week ago. i was gonna have it out at the hospital but that woudv'e meant waiting till may to have it out so when i went back to the dentist he said that he would be able to do it so im having it out on the 12th jan. but today i woke up and its starting to hurt a bit again. should i just wait till the 12th? or back to the dentist? i can't stop worrying about this.

please reply
    Love Louise

Re: Tooth infection

Hey Louise,

I had an infected tooth that kept getting infected and the same as you kept being given antibiotics over and over.

I tried Corsodyl mouthwash (the mint one hehe) and it got rid of the infection without antibiotics and I kept using it and have never had an infection since so I really recommend that if you want to stay infection free with your wisdom teeth

It gets rid of pain too so if you take painkillers aswell you should be fine in no time!

Hope this helps!
    Candy xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by louise0501 View Post
    Hey, ive recently had a tooth infection in one of my wisdom teeth and i have had two courses of antibiotics, just finished the second course about a week ago. i was gonna have it out at the hospital but that woudv'e meant waiting till may to have it out so when i went back to the dentist he said that he would be able to do it so im having it out on the 12th jan. but today i woke up and its starting to hurt a bit again. should i just wait till the 12th? or back to the dentist? i can't stop worrying about this.

please reply
    Love Louise
    I'd be tempted to phone the dentist and get it whipped out asap! My 18 year old son just had one taken out and it was so quick, I thought they'd decided not to do it......... after the injection, about 15 seconds, according to my son!! Sometimes its more tricky if it hasn't come through much.

Sorry you are going through that. I am facing the same problem as well. I should have had my wisdom teeth out many years ago as there is nowhere near enough room. They are through but are impacted in the bone so they have to cut them out. y appt is the 13th which is the soonest they can do but I think it is infected. I hope we both can get it sorted
    out and be done with the pain and infections!!

Antibiotics NEVER rid a tooth of infection - your abscess will still be there and will remain until either RCT or extraction.

It's entirely up to you what you want to do now. You could ask for more antibiotics, but it won't make much difference. If I were you I'd wait and see. You're not in any danger if you wait until the 13th - the infection won't spread anywhere nasty. If the pain is minor, then I would wait.

If it gets bad again, and you start becoming systemically unwell (fever, swollen glands etc - unlikely) then you could go back for more antibiotics. But if it's stable - then hot salty mouthwashes should keep it at bay.

Please don't look to Google for info whatever you do - the possible complications you'll find listed are very, very, very rare and most dentists NEVER see such cases in their entire careers!

Thread Information