Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ibuprofen with Citalopram - Ladies!

Ibuprofen with Citalopram - Ladies!

Hi

I have been taking 10mg of Citalopram for the past week and will up to 20mg next week.

I also suffer sever period cramps and usually take a couple of ibruprofen a few times a day to get rid of the pain, sometimes Feminax. Am I allowed to mix these tablets?

Thanks all xx

Re: Ibuprofen with Citalopram - Ladies!

best vthing to do is ask your local pharmisit ,think will be ok but better to check

You arent meant to take Ibrufen with Citalopram .I t can cause internal bleeding ,bu it is rare ..Paracetamol or cocodamol is ok tho .Ask your Dr if he can perscribe you something if it doesnt help much . A warm heat pad or water bottle on your tummy will be helpful with the cramping ..Take care Sue xx

Yeah, Ibuprofen and Citalopram are a no no I'm afraid. Any anti inflammatories are off limits for the time you're on Citalopram. It sucks, because I have chronic back pain and I'm all knotted to hell. I was on diclofenac which helped a lot, but I can't take it anymore.

I took it for 2.5 years n it didnt harm me. Id ask your gp first as its not recommended. A pharmacist may recommend rubbing ibuprofen gel over your tummy if you really prefer ibuprofen to other pain management, as this doesnt impact on your stomache lining like a tablet does. Pharmacist is best person to ask.

By the way, my dtocor prescribes mefenamic acid tablets for my period pains but Im on mirtazapine , I took it when I ws on citalopram too.IT IS FANTASTIC!

I had them too . They are very good .but they are an anti imflammatory .I wasnt on Citalopram at the time ..Only your Dr can advise you on these type of meds .I have taken the odd Ibrufen WHEN ABSOLUTELY NECESSSARY .but its best taken with food .I was ok too . There are some tabs you can get from Holland and Barret made by New era ..they are homeopathic and are specially for menstrual pain Sue x
    Last edited by suzy-sue; 31-12-09 at 19:16.

Hi 80schickx
    I agree with the other posters. I've been on Citalapram for years now and suffer badly from the 'monthly' cramps (what with that and childbirth, we get all the good stuff). :-)
    My Dr advised against Ibuprofen but I have been able to take paracetamol as and when I need it. Not sure about the 'stronger' (over the counter) painkillers, but your Dr or NHS Direct can advise you about that.
    Hope this helps.

I've only taken ibuprofen with citalopram on two occasions, one when I didn't know you couldn't mix them, the other when I had a horrible migraine. I would avoid ibuprofen in all its forms when taking citalopram unless there are no alternatives, and don't use it long-term alongside citalopram.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Well I must say I've never heard this, and taking them together has never done me any harm and I have a freind whose also on citalopram and takes Ibuprofen 600mg regularly for back pain but hey, im not a pharmacist, what do i know? :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information