Thread: Afraid to go anywhere due to heart issues

Afraid to go anywhere due to heart issues

Hello, everyone! I haven't posted on here in quite sometime. I am having a rather unusual symptom and it is getting to the point I am afraid to go anywhere due to fear. For what seemed like a couple months or more, I have not had any problem with my heart. It was a nice change to my usual anxious self. Back in early December I was informed my grandfather was dying and immediately it set me on a course of starting the grieving process. After I went to see him, I felt a bit resolved. I can't remember if I had any panic attacks per se at that point, but as soon as I heard of Brittany Murphy dying of cardiac arrest, I hit panic mode (my guess was it was just too much information at once). I started getting real short of breath and it would happen all the time. Then, one day I was driving to the store (I remember already feeling anxious about going) in my chest I felt a pound in the lower part of my heart, a sudden rush to my head, and a feeling like I was going to pass out. I made it home ok, but it took me a long time to calm down from that. I have experienced more of the shortness of breath, light headedness, and the occasional thump and strange feeling in my head again. It does only seem to happen when I am anxious, but it has happened out in public and I am scared I am going to keel over of cardiac arrest like she did. I keep trying to tell myself it could just be emotional stress coming from several avenues. The impending death of my grandfather (which, he is now back in his room at assisted living and seems to be doing fine -- good, but I am tired of the emotional yo yo) brings up the death of my grandmother that I haven't fully gotten over, mixed in with other things. Plus it is that time of month for me, and last week I had insomnia. I am hoping all these things are factors in this strange and scary symptom I am experiencing. Prior to all this, I was fine. Since my grandmother died back in March of 2008 I have been to the doctor several times, had a few EKGs, tons of blood work and so forth and everything was perfect. Could I suddenly, in the last couple of weeks developed a dangerous heart condition?? My last blood work was done in August and it was perfect, and my last EKG was perfomred in July. I keep trying to reassure myself that the possibility is extremely low, but there's always that "what if" factor. Anyone else experience such strong -- ecotpics? I really am afraid to go anywhere in fear it will happen again. I would really appreciate some in put. I am terrified (which I know isn't helping my situation). Thank you! Wiskers ~

"We can't solve problems using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Einstein

Re: Afraid to go anywhere due to heart issues

"Skipping, thumping or racing hearts are a worry I hear a lot about. Nearly every day someone tells me their heart is missing beats, quickening alarmingly or causing a nasty fluttering in their chests. They lie awake at night listening to the shooshing sound of their pulse in their ears or buffeted by the gentle rocking motion case by their beating heart.

Many of them are convinced they're about to suffer a serious heart attack. Some of them think they are never going to wake up. But heart "palpitations" are extremely common and usually harmless. I have more than 7000 extra heartbeats every day and can even show you the ECG trace to prove it. The funny thing is, the more you worry about them, the worse they get.

Worry leads to the release of stress hormones like adrenaline and these have a powerful stimulatory effect on the heart muscle making it buck and jump like crazy.

When you're busy or exercising that's fine. Your blood pressure needs to go up when you are exercising and most people never even notice palpitaions when they are busy.

But when you are sitting idle or lying in bed at night unable to sleep, adrenaline can cause dramatic "heart in the mouth" disturbances in rhythm. Usually these palpitations are triggered by anxiety or stimulants such as nicotine, alcohol or caffeine. Most people will suffer from palpitations at some stage in their lives.

They are the reason for between 30 and 40% of all referrals to heart clinics - where cardiologists try to find out if they are due to any serious underlying problem.

Most folk can be reassured by a brief chat, a quick examination and an ECG recording of the heartbeat.

Others might need thyroid and other blood tests or an echocardiogram to detect structural heart disease. Or they may have an ECG taken over a 24 hour period analysed by computer.

But most palpitaions are pefectly normal. So take heart - and stop worrying"

Dr Hilary Jones, GMTV Doctor

You're fine - what you're experiencing is normal.

thanks for that, it certainly helped a bit reading it

Thank you for responding to the concern Dr Jones. I have had in the past ECGs and a holter monitor and have suffered from palpitations. What I get now is an adreneline rush with a skipped beat. It only lasts a few seconds but leaves me feeling weak and concerned. Is that just a part of an ectopic beat?
    Thank you cherie

Cherie --- I get that, too. It's like for me the ecoptic and adrenaline rush are one in the same. It seems to happen at the same time, or less than a second later. It wears me out, too.

"We can't solve problems using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by wiskersonkittens View Post
    Hello, everyone! I haven't posted on here in quite sometime. I am having a rather unusual symptom and it is getting to the point I am afraid to go anywhere due to fear. For what seemed like a couple months or more, I have not had any problem with my heart. It was a nice change to my usual anxious self. Back in early December I was informed my grandfather was dying and immediately it set me on a course of starting the grieving process. After I went to see him, I felt a bit resolved. I can't remember if I had any panic attacks per se at that point, but as soon as I heard of Brittany Murphy dying of cardiac arrest, I hit panic mode (my guess was it was just too much information at once). I started getting real short of breath and it would happen all the time. Then, one day I was driving to the store (I remember already feeling anxious about going) in my chest I felt a pound in the lower part of my heart, a sudden rush to my head, and a feeling like I was going to pass out. I made it home ok, but it took me a long time to calm down from that. I have experienced more of the shortness of breath, light headedness, and the occasional thump and strange feeling in my head again. It does only seem to happen when I am anxious, but it has happened out in public and I am scared I am going to keel over of cardiac arrest like she did. I keep trying to tell myself it could just be emotional stress coming from several avenues. The impending death of my grandfather (which, he is now back in his room at assisted living and seems to be doing fine -- good, but I am tired of the emotional yo yo) brings up the death of my grandmother that I haven't fully gotten over, mixed in with other things. Plus it is that time of month for me, and last week I had insomnia. I am hoping all these things are factors in this strange and scary symptom I am experiencing. Prior to all this, I was fine. Since my grandmother died back in March of 2008 I have been to the doctor several times, had a few EKGs, tons of blood work and so forth and everything was perfect. Could I suddenly, in the last couple of weeks developed a dangerous heart condition?? My last blood work was done in August and it was perfect, and my last EKG was perfomred in July. I keep trying to reassure myself that the possibility is extremely low, but there's always that "what if" factor. Anyone else experience such strong -- ecotpics? I really am afraid to go anywhere in fear it will happen again. I would really appreciate some in put. I am terrified (which I know isn't helping my situation). Thank you! Wiskers ~
    Hi there,

Must be a worry. The thing you will have to be able to do. And it works for me is to overcome the initial panic. You are not dying. Your brain is trying to cope with all sorts of information. And it is sending out things you cannot cope with. Lie on your bed quite flat. Palms face down and breathe in strongly and try to hold it for as long as possible. Breathe out really slow. Hold it out. Ignore sensations.Worry. Pain. They do go after a little while. You will feel scared it may happen again. Don't be. I've had the bed spin around the room. You must look at what you are doing in your daily life. Work. Relationships. Food. Turn your brain off.

It does work.

Hi there,

Must be a worry. The thing you will have to be able to do. And it works for me is to overcome the initial panic. You are not dying. Your brain is trying to cope with all sorts of information. And it is sending out things you cannot cope with. Lie on your bed quite flat. Palms face down and breathe in strongly and try to hold it for as long as possible. Breathe out really slow. Hold it out. Ignore sensations.Worry. Pain. They do go after a little while. You will feel scared it may happen again. Don't be. I've had the bed spin around the room. You must look at what you are doing in your daily life. Work. Relationships. Food. Turn your brain off.

It does work.

I can relate. I have really bad days and its the dizzy feeling afterwards as well as the awful sensation. Like wiskersonkittens I now hardly go out. No more tea with a friend, or restaurants - to the shop and back as quick as poss.

Life is not life at all for me right now

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

Thread Information