Thread: London Underground, the subway... help?!

London Underground, the subway... help?!

Hello,

I have recently started to avoid going on the Underground. My commute normally takes me through a station where the train often gets stopped in the tunnels while waiting for a platform. I feel very claustrophobic when this happens, especially during peak commute time. I was recently stuck in the tunnels for about 15 minutes waiting for a platform. I was very afraid and although I breathed through it and I didn't actually panic, it really scared me. After this incident I've been avoiding the tube altogether as I'm afraid of getting stuck in the tunnels and panicking.

I am experiencing anxiety anyway so this hasn't come out of no-where. I know avoiding situations is unhelpful and I'd really like to start getting on the tube without freaking out! Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Re: London Underground, the subway... help?!

To be honest, I think it has to be accepted that this is not an unreasonable fear, some people would find this kind of situation stressful and some wouldn't. Remember the recent problems in the channel tunnel? it didnt take too long for all the claustrophobics to reveal themselves! Some fears seem really irrational, but a fear of coming to harm inside a train stuck in a tunnel is a reasonable fear, given what's happened over the last decade with terrorists etc. A bird's feather won't hurt us but there are people who go mad with panic at the sight of one...being stuck in a packed train inside a tunnel is a reasonable fear. Yes we can find ways to cope with the situation and to keep ourselves calm, and if its the only way to get to your destination then you have to find your own method of coping with it, but don't knock yourself for this, its a perfectly understandable fear

Going home xx

I know how you are feeling, recently i went to london and the same thing happened. Though weirdly before London was my 'safe place' but now its difficult to go there too :-( I had a lot of rescue remedy to push me through it as i am worse on busses and taxis and could not travel anyother way (tried walking, freaked out anyway!). I agree there are certain ways which can be quite good for coping when you are feeling the panic, but finding a specific one can be difficult. Things like EFT used to work quite well for me on transport, eating mints and even listening to meditation tracks. (Though i cannot use these anymore because my other phobias are entwined in it now as well). It is very difficult for sure I hope you are able to find a good way xx

I'm lucky never to have been stuck in a tube tunnel for longer than a few minutes but both my parents have been stuck for up to an hour at a time which sounds awful. I don't like the tube but sometimes it was unavoidable when I worked. It's hot, insanely crowded and some lines are very deep underground. I agree it's not an unreasonable phobia. Normally I listen to music on my mp3 player & always carry a bottle of water to cope with the heat and in case I get stuck. I remember the tube scaring me as a little kid because you have to walk through tunnels to get to the platforms that looked too much like the ones the trains came through. I was scared I wouldn't notice when I'd reached the platform and get hit by a train or something. Oh and carry a map, because some tube journeys are quick to walk instead.

Thread Information