Thread: Scared of blood test

Scared of blood test

I really need to go for a blood test but i am soo scared. I fainted once when i was younger after one, though i've always been ok. Lately i have been feeling more spacey than usual and like tightness in my throad and its making my anxiety 10 fold. I spend all day and night trying to convince myself it will be ok but i keep bringing on panics by thinking about it and imagining all the bad things that might happen (feeling spun out/throwing up/fainting). I know i won't be able to get much more help unless i get a blood test, and its bad enough that i have to walk 10 minutes to get there (i have agoraphobia), and can't get a taxi a i am afraid of travelling too.
    I wish the nurse could come here and do it but then i feel silly because my legs aren't falling off, and i know i should just be ok.
    Once i get one i will be able to sort out benefits and diagnosis and such but i just can't bring myself to do it eek!

xx

Re: Scared of blood test

I really feel for you. But if this blood test is what you need then you should go for it. Agoraphobia is horrible but I'd make a determined effort to do that 10 minute walk (better than sitting in a taxi trying to make conversation with someone that you don't even know). Explain to the nurse that you are anxious and hate needles. Lots of people have this phobia so you're not alone. Take a sweet with you to keep up your sugar level and you WON'T faint. Think of the relief once that test is over.......!! You'll have made a huge achievement and also find out if there's something in your blood test making you feel below par, which can be easily sorted. It'll be worth it and you can relax a bit Let us know how you get on - you can do it!!
    Myra

Dont know if this will help, my Hubby has a severe needle phobia, the Drs gave him diazapan to take 1hour before the blood test, and I also sorted out some music on his mp3 player. I went with him for support, and he just listened to his music. Also it may be worth asking for a fixed time appointment so you know 9am means 9am and explain that waiting will send your anxiety high.
    Good luck and really stick to your guns, make sure they understand how hard this is for you, and that they need to support you.
    Angela

hi,

i also have a terrible needle phobia...
    i had to have a blood test last year and had to get the doc to come to my house...luckily my mum asked him very nicely and he came. it was still hard but i laid down on my bed with tv as a distraction and got through it....
    i was very proud of myself after..i did have 1/4 a xanax.....

i am now avoiding another blood test haha...
    but i will just do the same as last year if the doc corners me with it...

oh, i also bought a patch from the chemist and put it on an hr before, it numbs the area where you will get the needle, i think this helps also...

good luck!!!!

My Mum is 78 n has lived through a war without a Father to support her and her 6 siblings, hid in bomb shelters waiting to be bombed, given birth to 5 healthy children, had two caesarian sections n nearly died after having me...n she is STILL scared of needles after all that! She always come back saying she still hates them but they dont actually hurt! I can see her face as white as paper when she talks about it. You are not alone so don't think you are. I hate them too, I can't watch and always say as soon as I get in the room, please dont say anything to me thats not necessary, please just get on with this coz Ill freak. Then with my face screwed up I hum to myself while she does it. Thats my way of coping. You will find yours.xx

Thread Information