Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: erm... "digestive" complaints

erm... "digestive" complaints

This is a bit embarrassing. Since starting citalopram I've been having some issues, poop-wise. Let's just say that when I have to go, I REALLY have to go and I've had near constant diarrhoea for about 6 weeks now. It isn't especially bad or severe, just means I have less time to get to a loo, but I've not had any accidents or anything. Been having some tummy cramps too, usually when I need to go.

I eat a diet high in fruit and vegetables, and don't really eat processed sweet things because I have sensitive teeth. I keep salt mostly out of my diet but started adding it in a little since starting the pills because I kept getting dehydrated. The only real difference between my diet now and before I gothelp was that I now eat 3 reasonable-sized meals a day plus light snacks, compared to 1-2 meals a day plus a butt-ton of coffee.

Has anyone else had these sort of tummy upsets? Any tips for coping with it/lessening the issue?

Re: erm... "digestive" complaints

I've been very loose when going for a no.2 since I've been on Citalopram. Not had any instances of running for the toilet (thankfully) though I perhaps do visit more frequently than usual on occasion. Again, that'll be the drug or the anxiety.

Would something like Imodium not help?

I've actually had a severe diarrhea for about 2 months now too. Mines actually started before the Citalopram, but I found the Citalopram would set it off too. I'm wondering now if the medication is the whats keeping it going. 2 months is an awful long time to have the runs. I'm thinking this now because all the tests I've had so far have come back negative. I've just one more test to get for Celiac Disease. If it isn't that, I'm thinking its the medication.

I had diarrhoea before starting Citalopram, and it was suggested it was severe IBS,caused by anxiety - hence being put on Cit.

Unfortunately, 4 months later, I STILL have diarrhoea and have lost quite a bit of weight.

I spoke to my psychiatrist, who did say that Citalopram can cause it.
    I'm also waiting for a referral to see a gastroenterologist, to rule out other issues.

Yeah I've lost loads of weight too. I haven't been weighed in about 3 weeks, but at that point I'd lost almost 3 stone in the space of 3-4 weeks. The diarrhea is still pretty bad, so I'm sure I've lost more now.

If people are losing a lot of weight to diarrhea I would recommend making an appointment with your doctor to discuss it. It is probably just something to do with the anxiety or a side effect of the med. You could try a lower dose of the med with your doctor's agreement. If your diet is high in fibre that can cause the runs.

I'm dismayed by how much I know about sh*t.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

To be fair, I do think mines is a physical thing. My anxiety levels haven't been high till just the last couple of days. I've had diarrhea from really bad stress, but this is different. I have a feeling I will have Celiac Disease. I certainly have all the symptoms. I have a feeling my condition is whats making me not get the desired results with the Citalopram too. The doctor suggested I could be flushing the pill through my system too quick and I'm not absorbing all the medication. Also, the chronic fatigue I feel isn't helping my overall frame of mind. It's hard to feel optimistic and confident when you're constantly exhausted and feeling God awful.

To help with your diet, you need to change the kind of fibre your eating. You said you eat lots of fruit and veg which is good - but the kind of fibre you get from veg is watery - which is bad for diorhea. You need to eat less watery fibre for the moment - and eat more bulky fibre like cereals, bread, rice etc. Also, a fibre supplement could help as well you can get them from the chemist.

Also if you need to be out and about and are worried about it id reccomend imodium.

xx

FEAR is an acronym for False Evidence Appearing Real.

I've replied to your other thread mate. It isn't impossible you have Celiac disease, but then again it isn't impossible that you have an old watch worth six million quid in your garage I think that your problems are caused by a combination of anxiety and stress about your upcoming trip to America.

PS If you do find a 6 million quid watch in your garage, you owe me 10 per cent for giving you the idea to look for it.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

LMFAO!

Ok man, you're on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information