Thread: Staying on it for anxiety

Staying on it for anxiety

Hi All,

over a year ago i was told i had Anxiety/ Depression by my GP and given citalopram things where still a little 'wobbly' so after a while he increased the dosage and when i went to see him more recently he was ready to begin tapering off citalopram and i said i quite like them and said after reading about anxiety it makes sense actually so could i stay on citalopram.The doctor said yes for anxiety however had it been depression i would have prefered you to come off them, why is that??

Thanks

joe

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Staying on it for anxiety

To be honest, I don't know what your doctor's talking about because anxiety and depression are linked and one can cause the other. I've suffered from mainly depression but there's always been some anxiety too and in the past I've also had panic attacks. That's why antidepressants work for both anxiety and depression.

If you've been on them for a year and feel "well" then you could think of coming off them but many people stay on them indefinitely, and as long as they are still working I don't see a problem in that.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Re: Staying on it for anxiety

Yeah, it sounds like your doctor needs to pay a bit more attention to his books before giving advice to patients. Citalopram is the medication of choice for Agoraphobia. Guess what the largest and worst symptom of Agoraphobia is? If you said anxiety, you'd be wrong....

Lol nah, I'm kidding. It totally is anxiety.
    Last edited by Gaz1981; 04-01-10 at 21:57.

Thread Information