Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: found a lump in breast & got positive pg test all in one day!

found a lump in breast & got positive pg test all in one day!

so worried, i have been getting pain in my left breast on and off for around a month now
    did a a self examination this morning in the bath and found a lump that im sure wasnt there before, but cant be 100% sure as my boobs have always been fairly lumpy and also a proded a lot more than usual so may just be fatty tissue well beneath my breast
    have just now just found out im pregnant - suspected it as have gone right off tea, weeing loads .. i should be over the moon, as have had 2 recent losses but im absolutely terrified now i have breast cancer and that i will have to have treatment then another baby will be lost again
    or that they are not able to test me, or tests will be painful as wont be able to sedate
    im hoping the lump is associated with the pregnancy somehow, do you think the gp will be able to tell with out me having to hace invasive tests ?

Re: found a lump in breast & got positive pg test all in one day!

Hiya honey,

Congrats on the pregnancy, have everything crossed for you. While I've never been pregnant I did used to be a midwife. Pregnancy, as you know, causes massive changes in hormone levels which could result in lumpy boobs.

First stop, go see your GP. He/she will examine you and reassure you. If they are at all concerned, next step is to see a consultant who will arrange a scan. No invasive techniques until they know what they're wanting to get at and from a scan, looks like it requires further investigation.

It's quite natural to be scared but react to it positively - get seen by your GP. They'll also be able to arrange your midwifery referral especially important considering your history of losing babies.

Much love x

Hi mummygarcia,
    Im not an expert but breasts do change with pregnancy and become sore and lumpy. All the proding and pushing and poking about doesnt help but once you've found something you just cant stop it. I have found umpteen lumps, bumps and thickenings over the years and terrified the life out of myself. I think it's always worth seeing your GP even if its only to put your mind at rest.
    Im not really much help but as a fellow boob examiner I can sympathise with your worries. Very best wishes to you and take care.
    Carol x

thank you for your quick response
    i know i should be sensible about it, and not jump to conclusions ,, but its so hard after last cpl heartbreaking years
    it was losing the baby late into 2nd trim last year that triggered my health anxiety
    i have also developed this weird thing whereby if something good happens to me, then something bad also has to happen to balance i out - yes crazy i know
    really hope you're right about it being pg related and we can give my 10 yr old daughter a little brother or sister!
    thanks again xx

Hello

I also had pain in my left breast and definately had no lumps, went to 2 doctors who said yes you have no lumps, but then i began proding and poking and wouldnt leave them alone! which made my tissue thicken and swell, it was scary started taking anti-inflammatries which made the swelling go down alot but its still not 100% right ( as i havnt left them alone) also if you continue to poke the pain will never go.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!! but as this will change your hormones your breasts are certain to be different, also as they start to develop milk i heard you can get milk cysts, best go to your doctor for peace of mind but im sure your fine xx

Hello honey, first of all a HUGE congratulations.

Secondly, I just had my 3rd baby 11 weeks ago and I got a lump when I was pregnant. I thought it had gone away, but when my daughter was a few weeks old I found it again. Of course, I went to worst case scenario and had an ultra sound and needed a biopsy and it was as just mentioned a milk cyst.

Did you know a huge proportion of breast lumps AREN'T cancer. I was astonished at the figure I think it is something like 80% or higher.

But as you know being pregnant stirs up all kinds of things in your hormones and I am sure it would be just that.

Take care,
    ''I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me''
    ~Dr Seuss~

Quote Originally Posted by mummygarcia View Post
    thank you for your quick response
    i know i should be sensible about it, and not jump to conclusions ,, but its so hard after last cpl heartbreaking years
    it was losing the baby late into 2nd trim last year that triggered my health anxiety
    i have also developed this weird thing whereby if something good happens to me, then something bad also has to happen to balance i out - yes crazy i know
    really hope you're right about it being pg related and we can give my 10 yr old daughter a little brother or sister!
    thanks again xx
    Perhaps you could try flipping that thought around...(easier said than done I know!) so whenever something bad happens (and bad things do happen) something good will be along shortly.

After being made redundant from parents company, and watching business go under, followed by seeing them struggle with the financial implications of having a business, plus my own health and health anxiety issues, I'm sure something good must be out there somewhere with my name on!!

Take care

hi just quick update
    my gp said she's 100% the lump is just breast tissue havent noticed before - checked 3 times, but just in the area i pointed out - kind of wish she'd checked all over
    she said the numbness and pins and needles i had been feeling in the area on and off is sure to be anxiety related
    still not completely reassured as still getting niggly pains / weird sensations in my left breast area, will just keep an eye on it for the moment and go for a 2nd opinion if still not completely happy
    just have the pregnancy to worry about now, lol .. actually im going to try and take it in my stride, the last one cpl months ago ended at 8 weeks, had a chemical pregnancy before that and then the one that finished at 23 weeks - so i guess the odds are not in my favour, but as they say you have to be in it to win in .. and i have a beautiful 10 yr old daughter to prove i can carry to full term, i just hope my run of back luck is over
    thanks again everyone for all your support xx

Just wanted to wish you all the best for a happy and healthy pregnancy this time

unfortunately started to bleed on tues, died down but has started again - not loads, just when i wipe .. but ive kind of accepting its not meant to be (again!) will make appt for epu to have a scan and find out whats going on
    have been quite calm about it, but have had other stresses and issues going on and suprise, suprise heart palps came back last night with a vengeance
    trying not to let things get on top of me, but im also off with siatica (employers not too impressed) money worries, car just broken down, then the threatened miscarriage - feeling quite low in a calm way, if that makes sense .. ie accepting that there really not much that i can do about ANY of the above, just unfortunate that its all come at the same time
    have my 1stappt for cognative therapy tomorrow .. i wont know where to start!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information