Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBS Symptoms!!

IBS Symptoms!!

Hi all,

just curious to know what symptoms people have on here with IBS?

also does anyones symptoms worsen with alcohol? I have found recently that it makes mine worse and now im scared to drink or go out

Thanks

Re: IBS Symptoms!!

Interesting that you just posted this. I had just responded in this thread (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67301) regarding my IBS symptoms. Alcohol is a definite trigger for me and my IBS. Sucks as a big portion of my social life has always involved going out for drinks.

My symptoms usually include bloating, cramps, gassy, and lots of trips to the bathroom in quick succession. I sometimes get nausea but that is one of the more rare symptoms for me. These flare ups come in waves. I can be fine for months and then have a brutal couple of weeks. But I can usually attribute that to a run of unhealthy living and small symptoms that I chose to ignore.

As far as the alcohol, you'll be able to drink again and it won't bother you. But sometimes it is best to just take a break for a while. Also different types of alcohol can have varying effects. Avoid things like rum & coke or anything that mixes with a beverage that has caffeine. I actually stopped drinking caffeine when I quit smoking years ago. Both were good choices on my part. Beer can be bad, a lot of bloating and gas from that beverage. If you don't have reflux issues wine can be good. I also like drinks mixed with vodka. Quantity is also key. One or two won't typically bother me, but a night out hitting double digits and I'm in for some trouble.

Yea i drink beer and wine tbh and the beer always gets me the worst...sometimes makes me sick even when I haven't drank that much!

It is quite depressing though cos it has made me not want to go out...im the same as you, most of my nights out involve drink lol. I just dont feel normal when all my friends drink and I cant or daren't lol! My daily living/health isn't great at the mo either....I have a sit down job, dont do much excercise because by the time ive finished work im so knackered i cant do any and over the past year or two I have eaten anything and everything ive wanted and piled on a few pounds.

Gonna lay off it for a while and try to diet a little I think!

Thanks for your help xx

Hi

I also suffer with IBS my main symptoms are bloating,wind/,nausea/needing to wee alot i also get back ache and my legs sometimes ache i get a horrible colicy feeling mainly around my left side and constipation

Hi scaredCaz....

the back ache that you have, does it move around or stay in one place? I have been having back ache recently when ive had my usual IBS symptoms and it has been agony some days. It usually goes away if i sleep or rest on a hot water bottle.

Also the colicy feeling in your left side....is this sometimes sharp like someone stabbing you? I find i get this on my left side mostly but the same feeling runs across just under my bust and around to my back. I have quite a lot of pain in the middle of my bust but not sure if this is all connected!?
    xx

Quote Originally Posted by Linzbug1 View Post
    Hi scaredCaz....

the back ache that you have, does it move around or stay in one place? I have been having back ache recently when ive had my usual IBS symptoms and it has been agony some days. It usually goes away if i sleep or rest on a hot water bottle.

Also the colicy feeling in your left side....is this sometimes sharp like someone stabbing you? I find i get this on my left side mostly but the same feeling runs across just under my bust and around to my back. I have quite a lot of pain in the middle of my bust but not sure if this is all connected!?
    xx

Hi linzbug

I reckon it must be all connected because i get exactly as you have just described the pain relieves when i lie down although i have never tried a hot water bottle i will now though it can be very painful i have been in tears although i must say i usually cry because i am so sick of how restricted my life is sometimes with it...i think the pain round our bust must be wind ive been docs and asked about my heart and stuff and they assure it isnt that when i told her i get back ache she sed does it feel like it is to do with your ibs so must be more common than we think hope you feel better soon

yes hope we do feel a bit better already now ive heard someone else is having same probs as me xx

I suffer with IBS as well
    I get a lot of back ache with mine as well
    I can also turn onto my side a feel the wing going round it sometimes frightens me because I think it is my heart
    I use a hot water bottle as well.

Joanx

I have IBS and I mainly have stomach cramps and bloating. Sometimes back ache too. It is relieved by a hot water bottle. Also sometimes curling up with my knees up to my chest helps. Sometimes if there's a particularly painful place in my stomach I find massaging it gently helps to move things along and sort out wind.

Alcohol... For quite a while I didn't drink at all, which wasn't good as a student because everything seemed to involve drinking. Make sure you've eaten before drinking, some low fat, fairly filling food. Avoid any drinks with artificial sweeteners in - ie. alcopops, diet drinks. Avoid anything with caffeine in - Red Bull, Coke etc. I find I have to avoid fizzy drinks too as they make me painfully bloated. I am left with a choice of white wine or rose usually.

The most important thing for me is to drink plenty of water at the same time. After each drink, drink a glass of water, and some more before you go to bed. Also don't drink to excess (it has to be said). I find that getting dehydrated is really bad for the IBS so stay well hydrated. A bit of alcohol may help you to relax which can be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Linzbug1 View Post
    My daily living/health isn't great at the mo either....I have a sit down job, dont do much excercise because by the time ive finished work im so knackered i cant do any and over the past year or two I have eaten anything and everything ive wanted and piled on a few pounds.

Gonna lay off it for a while and try to diet a little I think!
    Definitely try and work on diet and exercise.

I had a similar run last year for a few months leading up to some bad issues. I too have a sit down job, I was doing no exercise, eating complete garbage and drinking too much. It all eventually took its toll and November was a miserable month. But I feel much better now. I force myself to hit the treadmill a few days a week and I am eating much healthier. It is night and day compared to how I felt just a couple of months ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information