Thread: the actual rush

the actual rush

does anyone get the horrible feeling where it is adrenalin - but feels like it could be something else (even though it is adrenalin) and just completely rushes all over your body.. it lasts for a very short time. it scares me so much and always makes me run or walk fast in a direction to nowhere, and i cant help but feel like im going to die everytime this occurs, it starts with a slow heart rate and then my heart begins to pound after. is this natural?

Re: the actual rush

Hi Bowny,

The adrenaline rush is your body going into fight or flight mode so the racing hearbeat that follows is perfectly normal, as are a lot of other symptoms you might get.

As you say it "makes you" run or walk off afterwards - in other words you have answered your body's natural response and chosen flight over fight.

Try to have the confidence to stand your ground - you'll find it settles on its own after a time. Honestly.

thankyou for your reassurance brunette, im currently having mini episodes and trying to channel positive thoughts but all i can think is that im gonna stop breathing or my heart is going to stop beating. my neck is feeling really stiff and im starting to sweat abit, have you had the adrenalin rush feeling - if so how have you learnt to cope with it?

Hi Bowny, I have yes.

All my panic attacks started like this when I was having them. The "trick" was realising that it would pass in its own time and that nothing terrible was going to happen to me.

I still get the "rush" followed by the rapid heartbeat now and again but the whole thing is over within a minute or two.

When it's happening be kind to yourself, remind yourself that it is just adrenaline and what's happening is perfectly normal. Don't fight the feelings, let them wash over you and subside, just like a wave. Also, remind yourself that your panic attacks are, by and large, invisible to everybody else. That's because you look perfectly ok - and in fact you ARE ok, as awful as you might feel at the time!

Hope you feel better soon

what you said is so true, i have calmed down now - and once again im still alive so why am i worrying? i feel physically drained after it though but thats expected. im surprised this rush doesnt get mentioned as much as other symptoms - but then again its different for all people i suppose. thankyou for your words brunette, i will try to keep it in mind next time i have an attack

I used to call that "the hangover" worse than the actual thing if you ask me!

You're right, I think anxiety affects everyone in different ways so others might not actually feel the "rush" thing.

Glad you are feeling a bit better. Have a good weekend.

Yes I would agree with other members that this sounds like a panic attack ("fight or flight" response, or overwhelming sensations of dread or anxiety). Panic attacks are different for everyone who suffers from them. They can't hurt you though, they are just an unpleasant experience.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Thread Information