Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spam PM's again

Re: Spam PM's again

Quote Originally Posted by Melancholia77 View Post
    I think it's wise for everyone to invest in a decent Antivirus program/link scanner if they can. It's a shame that people are sad and low enough to target sites like these and others with such s***. Makes me very angry. Perhaps you could stop new members sending PMs until they've posted 5-10 times.

I think if we did that then they would probably post it on the forum instead where many more members would be able to access it at a much quicker pace.

It's swings and roundabouts with these people, if there is a way then they will find it.

You are right, they are sad and low

Lisa
    x

I needed new members to be able to use the PM system straight away in case they needed to contact me with any queries etc.

We used to moderate every member's first post but this proved too much extra work for the admins and of course this wouldn't stop them sending the PM's anyway.

As we find these spammers we are blocking their IP addresses so they can't come back lol.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Has the 'users online' option been removed to stop the spam? I can't seem to find it or I'm going loopy!

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by bottleblond
    It's swings and roundabouts with these people, if there is a way then they will find it.
    I agree, you can never make it perfect, only better. They're like rats constantly finding new holes to get into the house....

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic
    We used to moderate every member's first post but this proved too much extra work for the admins and of course this wouldn't stop them sending the PM's anyway.
    I thought you still did. When I joined in Aug 09 I remember my first post was moderated and some of my posts were automatically edited if I used certain words. Not sure if I was able to post links back then.

It's not criticism though. I know how hard it must be and you all do a fantastic job.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Sue - it is under "Quick Links" at the top - the menu option.

Mel - yes we have turned it off for now as it was a lot of work for some of the admins to do. I am at work in the day and so is Di so it was left for Bev and Lisa to do the majority (as Sandy and Laura are in the US) which meant being on the NMP forum nearly all the time. We turned it off and we do seem to catch the spammers quite quickly and some very helpful members report any posts we miss so we can pick up on them straight away.

We were concious that members signing up want instant access and not to wait hours for their post to be approved so it was swings and roundabouts really.

Any forum will get spammed that is life I guess - we just have to keep on top of it and ban them and hope they get bored! Some of it is done by "robots" so it is not an actual person signing up etc and they are getting very clever about getting round the registration process etc.

Alex tries to keep up-to-date with any enhancements that VBulletin introduce to the forum to help with spammers.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Maybe disable active hyperlinks, so people have to cut and paste the link into their browsers? It won't be fool-proof but it is definitely accident-proof!

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Hmm I can't find an option for that yet Adam

there are a lot of arseols out there in cyber space.I would love to meet 1 of them,i might be unable to walk,but i can still do damage to them.I am not promoting violence,i am just mad that It costs a lot of money to get computer fixed after these bums have done there job,let me at them.

Thankfull I haven't had one of these spam's I assume it's because of my security system, I don't use 'Norten' and other stuff that most use, I use ESET NOD 32, my son takes care of my computer, I did once get a message about a virus on my computer saying that if I sent them $50.00 they would get rid of it, I just told my son and he got rid of it for me, and it didn't cost me anything!

I'm bumping this to remind everyone not to click on any link sent by a member you don't know and trust.
    xxx
    Sandy
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    Lao-Tze

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information