Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blood clots - again

Blood clots - again

I really wish this fixation would stop

It is constant and I am still struggling to deal with it. Doesn't help that I have a bad cold at the moment and generally feel really achy and have random head and neck pains.

Could anyone tell me risk factors for blood clots before I google them? I am on no meds, don't smoke except for a few very rarely when out on a night out. I am not on the pill. I am overweight.

Re: Blood clots - again

Hi,

I know exactly how you feel. I also have a fixation with clots.

To develop DVT in your legs or arms, you would have swelling in the affected area, redness, warmth and it would be very tender to touch. The clot can then move to areas like lungs and so on (they don't start in these areas, they travel from limbs and possibly abdomen) Usually if this happens, these symptoms are severe. Risk factors are, if you've just had surgery, had a baby very recently, if you've had DVT before, if you've been on a very long journey without much movement.

I can't really think of any other risk factors. They are very uncommon among young people. I don't think being overweight is a risk factor, possibly in extreme cases like if you were very very obese.

Whatever you do DON'T google it. This is where I went wrong. You'll convince yourself you have one when you don't. Try to take your mind off it. Have a bath, read a book. And if you haven't done so already, then go to your doctor and get some reasurance.

Hope you feel better soon. You're not alone.

x

My fixation is so strong that a pain in my neck is a blood clot on its way to my brain.

I am very overweight but physically fit enough to do whatever I want if that makes sense. I have a young daughter but but none of the other bits apply.

I think I will go to my doctor. I need to kick this health anxiety and have managed to get better before but always hits hardest when I am low and this is really distressing me. I wish I could just kick this fixation :(

Thank you for your reply

risk factors are recent surgery(lasting over an hour or any bone surgery) period of inactivity, recent travel where you were seated for long time, cancer, bill control and smoking, blood disorders that cause blood to clot irregular. The odd time I really hard hit to the leg can cause one to form.
    I am completely fixated and have been since I had a hysterectomy in October. I feel I was too inactive afterwards and get pains in my legs. Been to the ER 4 times for it and had bloodwork but I still want a scan so I can stop freakin out. I measure my legs, check for pulses in my feet and under my knees. It is horrible. I am 33 and not overweight, not a smoker, no pill, but because of that surgery I have been sooooo scared. I completely understand your fear, I have posted my fears about them in the past couple days as well.

I do not want to freak you out but want you to know that there are times when no swelling is present and the pain is not very bad. Also a 33 year old I went to school with just had one with no symptoms till it hit his lung. There are sometimes that you cant just take things lightly.

It really is just a fixation, When we have health anxiety this is what we do it's all part of it . I have had fixations about loads of things but the heart seems to be my main one at present. Every twinge i get is " it " this time ! And because we are so focused on one particular thing , we WILL feel every little thing , it gets magnified. You have got to change your thinking . First , tell yourself that you have had this so many times , if it was going to happen it would have by now, then realise thats it is just fixation and when it is happening , distract yourself, do anything just get away from it , after all it is your anxiety wanting to be fed , and boy are we good at that ! my thing about my heart seems to be getting better now, you have to work on it and it will get less and less ,, good luck ,, Paige x

Alison you would know about it if you had a blood clot,believe me i have had one,the blood tests would have shown if you had one x

My fixation is so strong that a pain in my neck is a blood clot on its way to my brain.
    I had this fixation all through my teenage years...I am now 41 and fine. The brain is a very powerful organ, it can convince you that any little twinge and pain is something sinister. You'll be ok ! Honesty ! My advice would be to not google them.....it'll only feed your anxiety as I know that I could convince myself of anything if I read about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alisonj View Post
    I do not want to freak you out but want you to know that there are times when no swelling is present and the pain is not very bad. Also a 33 year old I went to school with just had one with no symptoms till it hit his lung. There are sometimes that you cant just take things lightly.

Did your friend have any of the risk factors, you know, like did he have an operation or anything like that?

Does anyone know how long it usually takes a clot to form? I had a blood test done a few weeks ago which tested for clots, it came back fine but now I think I could have developed one since then... Is it possible?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information