Thread: Lung Cancer fears

Lung Cancer fears

For the last several weeks I have felt short of breath all the time and I have been feeling a tight chest too. I have suffered with HA for years and I am really scared about this which I am sure is making this worse. I am trying not to google but I am "convinced" I have a tumor. I am also having pains in my feet and hands that are like nerve pains. Please somebody help me out here.

Thanks in advance

Re: Lung Cancer fears

What age are you? Its totally relevant with lung cancer.

I am a 38yr old male non-smoker.

DO you have a cough ? or is your breathing wheezy ? Are you coughing up pink phlegm or blood ?IF the answers are no ,you are experiencing symptoms of anxiety ,Caused by not breathing deeply enough ,& your muscles are tense causing pins and needles .Not enough oxygen can cause this too .Perhaps you may have a mild infection .Its very common this time of year .Your Dr will be able to tell by listning to your chest Please dont worry and dont Google ...Luv Sue xx

Thanks guys, I hate being crazy

Feeling short of breath is quite common but very infrequently is actually associated with dyspnea or respiratory distress. More commonly, this sensation is caused by either upward pressure on the diaphragm from excess gas or air trapped in the upper abdomen or alternatively a stress or anxiety factor. It is a common feature among persons who are anxious or under significant stress, wherein patients feel as though they are unable to experience the usual deep inspiratory breath that so often has a calming effect. Thus, there is often the attempt to achieve this breath through a forced and voluntary effort, which serves to produce repeated attempts as concern grows.

Shallow breathing is also very common among persons that may be experiencing anxiousness or worry and produces slight changes in blood-gas balances that can sometimes exacerbate the sensation and even make persons feel light-headed. Tightness in the chest also results from anxiety and produces sensations that one cannot get enough air. It is, however, merely a sensation and not actual air starvation.

Space-occupying masses within the lungs generally are asymptomatic and most often discovered during routine exams or evaluation of an unrelated symptom. Long before dyspnea would be an issue, you would experience a broad variety of other symptoms for which you have made no mention. I would tell you here that in my 40 years of having practiced medicine that your fears are entirely unfounded and I believe some irrational thoughts are causing your fears to be on a runaway train.

You'll be fine. Take a breath and relax.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Thread Information