Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got an MRi next week and really claustrophobic

Got an MRi next week and really claustrophobic

As the title says I have an MRI and am geting scared.

I am really claustophobic

They wont do any more CT scans as I have had too many in the last year and exposed to too much radiation apparently.

The MRI is to look at a tumour on my adrenal gland and I am really worried about it cos I hate being shut in

Aggghh

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Got an MRi next week and really claustrophobic

Let me be the first to wish you well. Reading through all your past experiences I think you've been through a lot worse and come out in one piece!

I hope it is good news and wish you all the best Nic. Sure you'll be fine. X

Never Surrender, Comrade

Hello Nicola,

You aren't alone in being apprehensive about your MRI. I work in a hospital and have known lots of people to be afraid because of claustrophobia - but the majority of them have gone and done it - which I think you will!! You seem a strong person to me and I think you'll overcome your fear. And it'll be a step closer to getting a clearer diagnosis, which I hope is a good one. Good luck
    Myra x

Hi Nic,

I had one a couple of years ago, and i can relate to the claustraphobia, i made sure i had taken some diazepam, also i asked if i could go into the machine feet first as opposed to head first, so that my head was always closest to the outside, and when it was time to come out, my head was out before everythng else, which REALLY helped. i was given headphones with the radio playing, and you are still able to hear the staff when they give you instruction, one other thing i would srongly advise is to keep your eyes shut, right from the moment you start to move into the machine, i made the mistake of peeking out one eye, and it was pretty close , so i shut my eyes quickly , this along with the going in feet first really helps with the claustarophobia, just concentrate on your breathing and keeping your eyes closed.Even with my eyes closed it felt bright as there was lights inside, and it didnt feel hot, quite bright and airy,the other thing is that when it starts taking the pictures, it is loud and rattling , but ok.
    I could do it again if i Had too, it wasnt as awful as i anticiapted and the times goes by fairly quickly.
    Hope this helps, you will be fine, let us know how it goes..

TC

Px

I had a head mri scan lasdt week and altho |I was scared rigid it wasnt half as bad as i expected and was over in 10 mins However only my head was in so it didnt feel so clausrophobic. |The nurses are very kind especially if you tell them how scared you are.

Love Joy

Hi Nic

I had one last year and I was pertified but I was on anti depressants at the time so I think they did not help. I took a beta blocker before I went in which really helped.

Like someone else said PLEASE keep your eyes shut as soon as you lay down.

They did talk to you through the head phones which helps, but what I did not like was they kept telling me how many minutes I had left which may be a good or bad thing dependant on you.

I also told them I was really scared and anxious before it so they kept asking me if I was OK throughout it.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Sharona

Hi nicola had mri test not nice if ur clastrophobic u have a buzzer if it gets too much and they play music in background think it lasts about 20mins. I just closed my eyes if its too much they can give u a sedative. Good luck x

Hi Nicola, I took my NMP teddy in with meas long as my head was still i could hug teddy.
    First try I went in an 'open scanner' about 2 seconds and i wanted out The 'open bit was at the side - i could put my arm out BUT could not SEE out cos i had to keep my head still

Best bit of info IF you have to press the buzzer to come out - DO your best to make sure that you press in the QUIET bit. that means that picture has been taken and you won't have to do that bit again.
    I thought the noises resmbled = the drill next door used to remove chimney breast = and the noise of the final spin on teh washing machine
    Best wishes
    June

Aww thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

They are letting Alex come in with me as well so that may help.

I am sure it will be fine - it is just cos I hate being shut in that I worry so much. I will try and get them to let me in feet first as well and will keep my eyes shut.

Thanks everyone.

It is on Thursday so I will let you all know how it goes.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Nic
    I have had a fully body/head, MRI before and like the others say, it is better to keep your eyes closed and try and relax as much as possible.
    The machine can be quite noisy but headphones are provided. I wish someone had told me this before because I was panicking the machine was breaking down.
    I am quite claustrophobic and panic over everything, but I found the staff were really kind and reassuring to me and there was also a buzzer you can press for immediate assistance, which helped.You are being constantly monitored so nothing can happen.
    If I had to have it done again I would maybe ask for a sedative but that's just me because of claustrophobia
    I hope it all goes well for you.
    All the best.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information