Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got an MRi next week and really claustrophobic

Re: Got an MRi next week and really claustrophobic

hi nic

i found the worst bit was going in but once i was in i managed to calm myself down and it was noisy but thats all

Thanks Poppy and Den.

I would prefer no sedation so will just go for it and what is the worst that can happen lol.

I am not even worried about the results - this is just a rescan to make sure the tumour hasn't changed at all.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

dont think they give you sedation as there are no doctors present anyway

joy

I am not keen on sedation Joy and there was no mention of it so I am guessing they don't offer it.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

My heart goes out to you Nicola. I often used to think what I'd ever do if I had to have an MRI myself. Usually imagined I'd freak out. However , a couple of years agoI had a similar scan for a blood clot on my lung and had to be sandwiches in a machine that resembled a sun bed and would normally have sent me crazy. Yet when it came to it, the desire to get the result overcame the anxiety of the moment.

With the MRI, they do give you a panic buzzer and in some places you can even have your own relaxation cd played through the headphones if you request it. The newer machines are also much more roomy in comparison to the old.

I suspect you will surprise even yourself and very often the worry is more about the prospective outcome and results than actual clausterophobia at the time.

Wishing you well and will look out for an update from you.
    Very best. WIth you in spirit.

Rozie

Nicola

My brother has a condition called issac's syndrome and has to have regular scans like this, but the hospital he goes to in liverpool has one of the new MRi scanners which is like a sun bed, it has open sides so you're not enclosed. Apparently there are only 3 or 4 in the country and I think he said Cheltenham was another town that had one.

I'm not sure if the liverpool hospital is called Walton General or Fazakerly because he attends both, but I can ask him if you want (not sure which part of the country you live in sorry)

best wishes
    GH xx

Thanks Rozie and GH

Rozie - you have actually helped me there cos I used to go on a sun bed so perhaps I can imagine it is that lol and I am getting a lovely tan whilst there.

I think it is also the hospital enviornment that scares me having spent 8 weeks in this particular hospital last year. I wanted the scan done in Addenbrookes which is where my Crohn's care is now but because the original scan was done at Bedford hospital I have to go there and I don't think they have the latest hi-tech scanners.

Thanks GH - as you probably just read they are making me go back to Bedford hospital. I used to have private health care but not anymore so maybe that would have been better for me but I have no qualms with the NHS just Bedford hospital lol.

Oh and one more thing - they asked me about metal in my body which I do have as I have a metal stent in my artery following a heart attack. They said it was fine but does anyone know why it matters.

I can just imagine myself being stuck to the machine cos the of the magnets

Now that would be a sight wouldn't it.

I know that I am getting a bit stressed cos my Crohn's is causing me grief today and that is caused by the anxiety but I will get through it I know I will - we all just worry with something new don't we?

You're actually right about the magnetic aspect! Apparently its different depending on what stent they used, and that its always a good idea to tell the operator that you have one and which one it is. Also how long youve had it as i think the magnetic effect happens more when the stent is new. So you might just get the tan without the buzz!!

GH xx

Cool so I will be stuck to the top or bottom of the scanner and they will have to prise me off.

We have to laugh don't we.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information