Thread: Panic attack whilst giving presentation...now i feel so down and ridiculous

Panic attack whilst giving presentation...now i feel so down and ridiculous

Hello,

This is the first time i have used this site and wanted some advise. Basically, i had a pretty heavy weekend in terms of boozing and last night i felt so anxious that i didn't sleep at all. Anyhow, today i was giving a short presentation update thinng in work in front of 30 or so people and i started having a panic attack. Luckily i managed to finish what i had to say but i sounded really shaky and people must have sensed that i was panicing. The worst thing is, I work for one of the biggest companies in the world and it was in front of a new director. I feel so stupid now...i honsetly though i was going to pass out the adrenaline was pumping around my body so much. I'm so annoyed at panicing, i feel like such a loser:-(

I asked my good friend who was there at the meeting and he said that i sounded fine, not as confident as normal but not panicky. I don't know whether i'm making more of it than it was. I'ts really knocked my confidence and i'm scared for the next time.

Can anyone help?

Re: Panic attack whilst giving presentation...now i feel so down and ridiculous

Hi Katie.

Firstly, well done on completing what you were doing.

I think, quite often, that you will think others will sense your anxiety but they really don't. For me that is one of the most fraustrating things of all. Suppose it is good in one way.

Dont fire yourself up about the next time, it will make things worse. Draw breath,
    realise you accomplished what you set out to achieve and tell yourself not to worry.

Good luck and Hi by the way.

Thanks Jackie, I just think people might think i'm stupid. Your right though, not everyone will notice the panic. I can't not give presentations in work, i will just have to learn to get through it...i guess the more i do it the less scary it will be. x

There is no harm in been nervous about giving presentations, I know I'd be nervous in situations like you've described, your body is just doing its job and the adrenaline naturally will start pumping, it will sometimes trigger the fight or flight response, use it to fight, use it to your advantage. If you feel the beginnings of a panic dont worry, a few deep breaths, big smile on your face and get up there and show them what your made of after all your obviously very good at what you do or you wouldnt be up there giving that presentation in the first place.

Hi. I can remember many times when Ive been really nervous and thought everybody must have noticed and they hadn't! Sounds like in your instance is that you were sub consciously nervous because you were under pressure in front of a NEW director and naturally you wanted to impress. You sound like a high achiever and I suspect always want perfection? Maybe I'm wrong.Next time (n I know this sounds boring) maybe you could cut down on the booze, it's gotta affect you in a negative way. Well done on carrying on with your presentation by the way, that shows how professional you are! I would put this scare down to experience.Is it a possibility you cant take the booze anymore?ha ha! It comes to us all sadly!

You where brave enough to do it in the first place, if this is the first time it has happened to you. I suggest you don't look into it. and accept it as one of those thing's. If you start looking into it, it will play on your mind and get worse. it's not a good place to be. as you say the adrenaline was pumping this is a 100% natural thing. use it to your advantage. most of the time we think everyone knows something is up when really sometimes you show very little sign's that something is up and it's all in your mind. So keep it up put it down to the fact you drank to much. hope all goes well for you

Thread Information