Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: will i get some benefits?

will i get some benefits?

I have depression and anxiety been on anti depressents about 6 weeks now and been off work 8 weeks.I have decided after such a bad couple of years due to illness that i need a fresh start,want to leave my job and change career.I can not face going back to work,i look after children and work with alot of people.Will i be entilted to get benefits if i leave my job?Once im better i want to look for another career and train in something else.Also is it normal to be still feeling low and anxious after been on meds 7 weeks?im alot better than i was though.I just dont feel up for speaking on the phone to sort benefits etc yet,family members dont seem to understand this,and say i need to push myself to do it.

Re: will i get some benefits?

hi yeah i think u will b untitled 2 benefits ive just applied myself if ur not working u need something 2 live on. Meds normally take several weeks 2 get into system what u on?

Im on citlopram,dont think ive spelt it right,i dont even think im getting statutory sick pay because i dont work enough hours!Iused to work full time but went back to do a few hours after illness,but now im off again with depression and anxiety all due to the bad couple of years i had.

u can claim for employment and support allowance i only did 10 hrs will ask for a docs note tho

Thank you for you advice

You will get some, Ull more then likely get income support or incapacity benifit, you'll need to send in sick notes from ur doctor every 2 weeks (doctors will only sign you off 2 weeks at a time) but after about 4-5 months of this the benifit people will write to u and say u dont need to send in any more sicknotes and they will give u a date for a review. Believe me tho, its tough! i could only get imcome support which was 40 quid a week!!!

Hiya kym,wot do you mean when you say its tough?whats tough the review?

Hiya,
    Just the hassle of filling in forms, waiting around. I was told to claim incapacity benifit, but wasnt entitled to it due to not having enough national insurance. I then had to file for income support. i got that, but it was only 40 quid a week for the first year

The only problem I can see is if you actually quit your job - my hubby did this when he moved from Sussex to live with me, he was told he wasn't entitled to anything because he left his job willingly.

However if you GP signs you off work, then its a different matter entirely.

yeh i dont think i be able to go back their i have depression and anxiety,i just need a fresh start when im better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information